Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

May be looking at a new truck. Any advice for a 1/2?

So I posted this last week in the general lounge asking about gm reliability….Man that turned into a 5 page long rant that everything is junk and gm’s motors blow up Lol. The deal is my 14yr daughter is going to start driving to school this fall. She wants to drive my GMC 1/2 to school. It’s a 2010 with 125k and started to rust…. It’s been a great truck for me. I got it used with 90k and only had to change oil. If she drives that I need A work truck and something to pull the boat. I also have a 2015 Chevy 3/4t with a duramax and it only has 25k I bought it new. Don’t want to drive that back and forth to work ( I’m only 5min to work) because that would be hard on the engine. So what I’m looking at is trading the 15 for a 24 gas 1/2. I’ve always liked gm truck but the internet has scared me away….
    I thought I would ask on here because not as many guys look at Iowa/Nebraska posts. And heck I think you guys might have some good advice

1. what brand should I be looking at?
    2. what model?
    those are the questions. Sharing experiences would be great!

2. Member
    I have a ram classic half ton 4 wheel drive. basically a work truck with no carpet. it's the quad cab and has the big v6 that has 305 hp. I get 19- 22 mpg and about 14-16 while pulling my ranger rt198p

3. Member
    Had 7 1/2 and 3/4 ton Fords over the last 15 years then switched to a GMC last year, couldn't be happier. As for the 6.2 naysayers you'd almost think the roadsides would be littered with them if it was as bad as they say it is.

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Always been a chevy guy and none of them have given me any issues. however when the Ram was redesigned I had to have one so bought one in 2020 and love it
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Always been a chevy guy and none of them have given me any issues. however when the Ram was redesigned I had to have one so bought one in 2020 and love it
    1500 (1/2 ton?)

6. Member
    Im a ford guy. Your going to get everyones favorite on any site you go to. You just need to go and get what you like. I think they all have decent trucks, just depends what you like
    2010 FX Skeeter

7. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    1500 (1/2 ton?)
    yes
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

8. Member
    Coke vs Pepsi, Bud vs Miller, etc.

Ram, Chevy, GMC, Ford and Toyota all build a decent 1/2 ton vehicle. You’ll read just as many complaints about one as the other on the internet…..it’s the internet.

I recommend starting with a google search of all of your local dealers and reading reviews of their service departments. This is a HUGE deal when finding satisfaction for an issue with any brand.

9. Scraps
    Right now, whatever you buy, seems like the extended warranty is a must. My 2018 F150 with 76k is in the shop getting a new transmission. I debated buying new, trans shop told me they don’t see Tundras at all, for transmission work - but the new gen 3.5 liters are blowing engines! Chevy has a similar transmission than Ford and similar issues.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

10. Member
    Well I worked really hard on getting the deal I wanted. I had to go back and forth with different dealers. Make a bunch of calls ect it was exhausting!! But finally got them to do what I wanted. But then I was so tired of fighting so hard on price I said heck with it Lol….That was a few days ago, yesterday they called and wanted to know what it would take to make it happen.. I low balled them and asked for a roll cover. I thought no way they would do that deal but I was wrong Lol. Well I now got a new truck.

11. Banned
    F150 with a 5.0 V8 would be my fist choice, 2nd would be a GM with a 6.2 V8.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    F150 with a 5.0 V8 would be my fist choice, 2nd would be a GM with a 6.2 V8.
    I like the ford f150 5.0. We have one for work and it has been a great truck about 60k and no issues. Now the one before was a 3.5 eco boost and it had the cam phaser issue. Got that fixed and then it started burning oil bad!! Traded it off for the 5.0. I think it was just one of those things that happened sometimes. One guy at work has the eco boost and likes it. Every thing can have stuff happen.

13. Expert at Retired Ranger Skipper's Avatar
    Considering trading my 2018 GMC with 6.2 for a new GMC AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax. Check them out. Most of the bells and whistles of the Denali and competitively priced with the 3.0 being the standard engine and 10 speed transmission. Impressive towing numbers and much better MPG as well. Dealers are starting to deal again.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Skipper View Post
    Considering trading my 2018 GMC with 6.2 for a new GMC AT4 with the 3.0 Duramax. Check them out. Most of the bells and whistles of the Denali and competitively priced with the 3.0 being the standard engine and 10 speed transmission. Impressive towing numbers and much better MPG as well. Dealers are starting to deal again.
    Well how did you like the at4? A guy at work has a 2024 with the 3.0 D-max it is his first Diesel truck. On winter grade fuel and needing to warm it up a little longer it wasn’t very good for him in the winter. But now that it is warm it has got lots better! I’m trading a 2015 2500HD D-max high country for a gas 1/2t I think. My daily driver is a 10’ 1500 GMG 5.3. Been a great truck daughter will be driving it to school. lol

15. Expert at Retired Ranger Skipper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Well how did you like the at4? A guy at work has a 2024 with the 3.0 D-max it is his first Diesel truck. On winter grade fuel and needing to warm it up a little longer it wasn’t very good for him in the winter. But now that it is warm it has got lots better! I’m trading a 2015 2500HD D-max high country for a gas 1/2t I think. My daily driver is a 10’ 1500 GMG 5.3. Been a great truck daughter will be driving it to school. lol
    Loved the one I test drove but thats as far as I've squeezed the trigger thus far. Hoping they will need/want to offload a few of them once the 25's hit the lots

Angry

I bought a 2024 GMC AT4 with the 3.0 diesel at the end of nov 2023. Had nothing but problems with it. Engine light comes on every 1500 miles, then engine goes into "derate mode" for a couple of days. By the time I get it to the dealer, the engine light goes out, and runs normal, then the dealer tells me everything is fine. Well last tuesday at 11,000 miles the engine light went into "derate mode" again and has been in that mode since. I waited this time to see if it would clear on its own but it has not. Needless to say, very frustrated. It is no fun driving on the interstate where speed limit is 80 mph and your vehicle wont go over 72 mph and drops to 55 going up hills. Taking it in at 9am tomorrow. Hopefully they can get this resolved.
    "heard it in a love song.........can't be wrong"

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodaksker View Post
    I bought a 2024 GMC AT4 with the 3.0 diesel at the end of nov 2023. Had nothing but problems with it. Engine light comes on every 1500 miles, then engine goes into "derate mode" for a couple of days. By the time I get it to the dealer, the engine light goes out, and runs normal, then the dealer tells me everything is fine. Well last tuesday at 11,000 miles the engine light went into "derate mode" again and has been in that mode since. I waited this time to see if it would clear on its own but it has not. Needless to say, very frustrated. It is no fun driving on the interstate where speed limit is 80 mph and your vehicle wont go over 72 mph and drops to 55 going up hills. Taking it in at 9am tomorrow. Hopefully they can get this resolved.
    I would bet it is with the def fluid or the regen in the exhaust. I think diesels are really good but the stuff they put on them is ridiculous. Those motors should run to 200k but I’m hearing at 75-100k there needed major work on the emissions system. It’s all of them too not just gm…… how is the fuel mileage?

Gpm is better. I am averaging about 20 gpm on all driving can do 26 gpm on hiway. There is no doubt that the def and exhaust system controls are the problem with these engines.

I am not much help, since I've been in a couple different 3/4 ton diesels the last 13 yrs. However, I have known numerous people that have had serious issues with the trendy small CID turbo gas motors that most all the mfg. are offering now. Haven't heard much about the small CID diesels, other than all the issues the very early ram ecodiesels had. I've been lucky with mine not dealing with any major exhaust system problems. But, when I am out of warranty the first problem I have with the DPF and it will all be going away. I think they are all pretty decent if you stick with a naturally aspirated V8. If towing moderately, then transmissions would be of much more concern across all mfg.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

Update on my truck. They are replacing the entire exhaust filter system. Some parts are back ordered with no available ship date :(. At least they gave a loaner car.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast