94 xri 175 won’t start

1994 xri 175
    Motor was running good and now it won’t start. Has spark. When I turn the key the electric fuel pump kicks on longer than normal and when I check the pressure there is none at shredder valve. Bulb stays firm. There is fuel to the low pressure pump. I ordered the rebuild kit for it already but main question is should there be pressure at the shreeder valve when first turning the key before cranking motor?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes. May be that you have no fuel in the VST.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I will unscrew the drain plug and see

4. Member
    possible inlet needle stuck or some sort of restriction in fuel line or filter, remove hose on bottom of high pres fuel pump see if fuel is present , if the U hose there feels soft and mushy mabe degraded and plugging filter inside of it ,cone filter >
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Fuel to vst, fuel to high pressure pump. High pressure pump works still no pressure on the shrader valve

6. Member
    I cycled the key about 5 times to see if more pressure would build up and it did and fired right up so maybe just not enough pressure on the electric fuel pump?
    also now I’m getting the normal key on beep with 2 short beeps after that wasn’t getting until now
    Last edited by emb17; 05-24-2024 at 02:04 PM.

7. Member
    Get/borrow a fuel pressure gauge and check pressure. Some auto parts stores loan fuel
    pressure gauges.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Member
    Well electric pump just completely failed so hope this is the culprit

9. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................