Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Mitchell 410, 300, 308.
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

I have some GLoomis IMX rods from the late '80's and early '90's that I still use today. Had a sponsorship and have 20 more. Not impressed with the IMX Pro. so I still sling the old ones. For Reels, it's Shimano Curado 200 DHSV and 2500 Stradics get the call.
    Last edited by wmitch2; 05-27-2024 at 04:11 PM.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Vatrer Lithium / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KWH View Post
    Team Daiwa Rick Clunn 7ft glass crankbait rod, only downside is it's heavy compared to todays models.
    I've got one of those as well. Still throw it occasionally but like you said it's pretty heavy. I've got a really old All Star Inshore rod as well, back when they were made in America. The thing is a total noodle but works great for small cranks.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

Speed masters, casting and spinning.

5. Fishing is a Passion
    All Star rods, Quantum 1310 reels
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

6. Banned
    The green Curado reels.

7. Member
    Cabelas Tournament ZX cranking rods
    -Matt

8. Member
    Quantum EXO Tour Rods and Shimano Chronarch 51E reels !

I think the Daiwa TD-Z is my favorite "classic" if I had to pick one platform. The original Daiwa Zillion would be close behind, but was more or less an aluminum version of the TD-Z. I still have a couple in rotation, though on more modern rods...

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    I think the Daiwa TD-Z is my favorite "classic" if I had to pick one platform. The original Daiwa Zillion would be close behind, but was more or less an aluminum version of the TD-Z. I still have a couple in rotation, though on more modern rods...
    That is why I have so many SV103XS reels - the best of a TDZ/ OG Zillion. 34mm spool makes it a no brainer for heavier apps! Gary!!

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalsh24 View Post
    That is why I have so many SV103XS reels - the best of a TDZ/ OG Zillion. 34mm spool makes it a no brainer for heavier apps! Gary!!
    Haha, yeah man for sure...I would easily put this reel up there, I just didn't think it was old enough to qualify as a "classic", which in automobile speak is ~ 25 years, so what is it roughly for feeshin' equipment?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Haha, yeah man for sure...I would easily put this reel up there, I just didn't think it was old enough to qualify as a "classic", which in automobile speak is ~ 25 years, so what is it roughly for feeshin' equipment?
    Well, you got me there Van! If you're going with classic plates, I enjoyed my TD1HI reels! Or, better yet, the venerable PT33's!

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ewalsh24 View Post
    Well, you got me there Van! If you're going with classic plates, I enjoyed my TD1HI reels! Or, better yet, the venerable PT33's!
    For sure...I still fish my PT33SH reels, slightly tuned with parts from Ian Shields. And my TDX HSDF is from circa 1999, so it does qualify as well. I also have a rebuilt super clean 1980s Shimano Bantam Mag 10SG that I take out every now and then.

14. Member
    I still use an old Cardinal 4 spinning reel and I have it on a Billy Westmoreland spinning rod. Still puts fish in the boat.

15. Member
    The old Berkley Series One Accuflex were great rods back in the day. Might have been one of the first split grips. Also smaller And single foot guides than others back then.

G Loomis original IMX, much nicer then the ugly cheap looking Pro rods today.

17. Member
    I have an old 7' Allstar Viper rod that was built in the early '90s when braided line had its first real resurgence in bass fishing. The rod is specifically for braid although I have never really used it as such. It has been a great jig rod, and it has taken a beating. It looks pretty rough at this point, but I am just trying to let it age gracefully. Will break my heart when it finally gives up the ghost.

18. Member
    Not me. From about the late 80’s on, I was able to and did get top of the line rods & reels. There is not a single thing I would use from back then over today’s top of the line stuff. Nostalgia is one thing, but performance hasn’t taken any steps back, in my opinion.

19. Member
    Bought my first left hand retrieve baitcaster in '78. Second one in '80, one Shimano, the other Abu Garcia. They're both 'still in service' today! The quality, heavy duty components in these things is evident.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12