Thread: Day box Leak!!

Day box Leak!!

I have a 2014 521C and I am getting water in the day box (compartment in front of divers seat). Has anyone had this problem? The compartment is not a dry box and just not sure where the water is coming from. Any help is appreciated!!

2. Member
    This topic pops up from time to time, and the usual suspects are the rubber seal around the lid and the seal inside the latch. Of course, those areas will only take on water from above, as in rain or swamping. If those scenarios are not a possibility, it could be a leak under the rub rail, but that is much less likely.

3. Member
    Its not coming from the top. I seems to be coming in from under the driver console. I am just not sure where its is leaking in from???

4. Member
    If memory serves me correctly, the water pressure gauge for that boat works from a pressure sensor in the bilge area rather than an actual water line going to the console, so there shouldn’t be any liquid at all under the console. Literally none unless someone drilled a hole through the hull at some time, like adjusting the mounting of a hot foot.

5. Member
    I have same issue on 2016 520c, only see this in rough water, I have narrowed down to rub rail screw or some how water running down the rigging tube from the bow. I notice the water coming under the carpet panel (outboard hull side)in the day box. Current test - I have a towel stuffed in the day box at end of rigging tube.
    2016 Z520 - Mercury 250 ProXS - Bravo 1 XS

6. Member
    I have a 2014 521C and I had a leak in the compartment in front of the driver console. I found a hole in the fiberglass at the bottom of the compartment allowing water to come up through the bilge. Typically this would only happen in rough water when I was taking enough water over the sides to have water in the bilge. I was running on Erie and St. Clair at the time so lots of rough water. See pics. You could test for this easily by putting in your plug and filling bilge with water from hose, bilge pumps off. If there is a hole in the compartment it will start to soak your carpet. Took me a while to find, but I eliminated all other sources. I filled the hole with fiberglass and eliminated the leak.

I think I may have also found some water entry points between the console and the compartment around console mounting bolts, but that was 9 years ago, so don't remember details on that one. The latch seal is another place to check. Seal gasket another possibility. If looking for a leak from on top, I tape newspaper at the compartment opening, close the compartment and dump a 5 gallon bucket of water over the lid. Then open to see if water on newspaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    I also had a leak in the forward compartment starboard side. It was loose plumbing connection for the drain from center compartment drain. See pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Member
    H2Power - I will have to pull my carpet back and see if there is a hole or crack there. I see the leak when it really rains and the cockpit area gets flooded. Other than that it never leaks. Thank you for the pics....I will let you know what I find out.