Questions about changing the petal reed and engine problems.

Hello;
    I have a 2012 Mercury, 250HP Pro XS, SN 1B937625 and I will replace the reed petals because they have a high gap.
    I have some doubts:
    1 - After the exchange, is there any test to be done with any instrument or equipment to check if they will work correctly? Or would it just be a visual inspection to check if the reed petals are in contact with the reed block?
    According to the manual, a gap of up to 0.51mm is allowed.
    2 - Still in line with the question above, are there any machines to carry out these tests, as is the case with injection nozzles?
    3 - If the reed petals are too tight with the reed block, I believe there will be less air intake. Could this cause serious damage to the engine or would it just cause problems with loss of power and difficulty starting?
    4 - If the gaps in the reed petals are greater than 0.51mm, what problems could I have with the engine? Is it possible for this gap greater than 0.51m to cause piston problems?

The doubt about piston problems would be due to the fact that a piston had a problem (melted a part) recently.
    The oil pump is working.
    We did not find any clogged hoses.
    The piston that presented problems is number 2 - First, upper left side (Port side).

Thanks a lot!

2. Member
    oil pump prime is recommended with diagnostic equipment , lap the reed cages as described on this forum ,do a search here form good info, reeds that are to tight or to loose can cause some running problems , when installed correctly and sealing composite reeds will seal fine and improve running quality , injectors can be checked for operation but recommend validated by professional inj service
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Lapping cages from the FAQ - REED CAGE LAPPING

_______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Both above give good advise.

Reeds simply should not be PRE-LOADED, and should have no more than .020" gap at the tip.

Your testing equipment is a feeler gauge set. In some extreme cases MAP reference data may be helpful in diagnosing a broken reed, but that's now what you're talking about here.

What are the reed standoff measurements?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    @JOE54
    @SilverFox579
    @EuropeanAM

Thank you for your help!

6. Member
    Welcome.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Member
    ive been to MANAUS BRAZIL
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................