Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Hi Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromMaryland View Post
    Just Heard, This Is Going To Be A Recovery.

3. Member
    "Absence of Evidence does not mean Evidence of Absence."
    - Dr. Carl Sagan

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al from Canada View Post
    Don't get better at it.....just do it all the time when running.
    Exactly! I have gotten to the point now that I don’t bother taking my vest off. Just so I won’t forget to slip it back on. Being a little uncomfortable is better than no protection at all. Prayers for the families involved!

5. Member

Dang, that is crazy. It does happen and happens quick. Thankfully, we started setting the example with the kids coming up, and now it feels weird to not have it on when in the drivers seat. I pray I never need it.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

7. Member

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    I have never understood why there is such an adamant reluctance to wear a life jacket among fishermen, recreational boaters and paddlers.

I can’t say anyone has ever given me a good reason but will sit there and spew dumb reasons why they don’t need to all day long.

It’s the simplest and quickest solution to prevent a bad situation that is permanent.

I remember a gal that was in one of those ORU Folding Kayaks that don’t have bulkheads or any flotation. She wasn’t wearing a PFD and didn’t know how to swim. Fortunately she was rescued and when asked since you can’t swim why would you even consider not wearing a PFD? She answered I guess that is something you never think of until something happens.

9. Member
    Fishing from kayak has been the biggest help to create the habit of wearing pfd in boat. I don't even think about it just put it on.

10. Member
    I'm old. I'll be 82 this year in September if I make it. I bass fish my boat only does 60MPH plus or minus. I wear my PFD all the time until I get back in the truck. It hardly weighs anything. I don't get why wearing an inflatable is too much of a hassle.

11. Expert at Retired Ranger Skipper's Avatar
    In the late 80's I hit a yacht wake coming out of a cove on Grand Lake. Was doing about 50 checking out the shoreline, not paying attention and with no life jacket or kill switch. It launched me and the boat but somehow I managed to hang on to the steering wheel with my left hand. I ended up on my back in the floor of the boat still holding the wheel and the boat still going down the lake. From that time on I never start the big motor without slipping my life jacket on which stays connected to the kill switch in the drivers seat. It can happen fast and unexpectedly

Prayers to the family

12. Expert at Retired Ranger Skipper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
    I have never understood why there is such an adamant reluctance to wear a life jacket among fishermen, recreational boaters and paddlers.

I can’t say anyone has ever given me a good reason but will sit there and spew dumb reasons why they don’t need to all day long.

It’s the simplest and quickest solution to prevent a bad situation that is permanent.
    Good questions. Pretty sure we were are all invincible when we're young with a "it will never happen to me" mentality. With regards to kayaker safety, why don't they utilize flags? They are so hard to see and taking their lives in their own hands when they paddle way off shore in a main channel or boat lane. I know they have the right but if I were out there I'd have a 10 footer waving over my head.

13. Member
    Here’s an update, Bodies have not been recovered as of this evening. A witness observed one of the two guys either swimming and/or struggling to swim. The passenger Robbie did not know how to swim.

14. Member

15. Member
    Update: As of today bodies have not been recovered, they are ending the recovery and the lake will re-open tomorrow. During an inspection of the boat it was noticed the steering cable had broken.

They will just wait to see if and/or when the bodies will surface.

Mt Storm is a 1,200 acre reservoir with a power plant located on it, there’s a strong current which some have said acts like a huge washing machine.

Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

2009 ELITE 210

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by RangrSkipr View Post
    Good questions. Pretty sure we were are all invincible when we're young with a "it will never happen to me" mentality. With regards to kayaker safety, why don't they utilize flags? They are so hard to see and taking their lives in their own hands when they paddle way off shore in a main channel or boat lane. I know they have the right but if I were out there I'd have a 10 footer waving over my head.
    I have the same thoughts about kayak safety yes they have rights but it doesn’t mean to disregard one’s common sense. Safety and being aware of your and your kayak’s limitations is one of the most difficult things to teach. I have done seminars on kayak safety and there are always a few that want to argue and brag about their exploits,

19. Member
    Where did this happen?

20. Member
    Hey Denny, Mt Storm reservoir, West Virginia

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast