Thread: Guide Wrapping

Question Guide Wrapping

Hey guys. I'm on my second build, this is a spinning rod.

Started wrapping guides last night and couldn't get the first guide at all. Took "pre-ground" guide out and ground it. The guide kept "squirting out" on me. Backed off, tried to wrap ahead and pack down -- squirt. GAH.

Ok, I was a little tired and frustrated, but here's my Question. I'm using a CRB hand wrapper. Is it possible to have the thread tensioner TOO TIGHT?

I've been going over this in my head during the night and this morning, about all I can think of other than exercising more patience.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

You can get the tension too tight. How are you holding it in place while you wrap? Might want to try taping it. If you ground that foot for a very shallow ramp this shouldn’t be an issue. One technique is to advance the wrap up the foot 3-4 wraps leaving a small gap at the tip and pack back. I do this some if I’m having difficulties.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

3. Member
    I could be too tight. Thread shouldn't be so tight that you can't move the guide around under the thread with a little pressure (to reposition it a little).

Also you can just do some wraps up to the guide foot and then instead of having it start up the ramp do 2 or 3 wraps a little further up the foot and then push them back with a burnishing tool.

I’ll glue the guide on then a little piece of tape to hold in place start the wrap and once a couple wraps on the foot take the tape off.

Thanks guys. Had I not had to change my thread spools, I might not have had the issue. And I use the guide tubing cuts from Mud Hole.

Still learning.

If anyone has a neat trick about how tight the spool tensioner should be, I'd be happy to hear it!
    Last edited by countyrookie; 05-21-2024 at 12:42 PM.

look up the forhan locking wrap

it might help, I start all my wraps with it.

are you using the threaded knobs that come with it, you might want to get some of the magnets to help with smoother tension

I TOTALLY forgot about the magnets when i made this last order. Yes, I still have to noob knobs...lol.

8. Member
    The CRB thread tensioner knobs suck.. I even bough the upgraded ones (non magnetic) and it’s very jumpy. But it works.

tape is the best thing I’ve found. I’ve tried to use small craft rubber bands that little girls make bracelets out of (kind of like dental bands) but they don’t hold as good as tape
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I struggled with the thread tension on the stock tensioner. This was on a lathe. I even went to magnets and it still sucked. It didn’t have enough adjustability because the threads didn’t go the whole way across the spindle. After searching for a solution I ran across this thread carriage. Not sure if it will fit your hand wrapper or not but maybe will help others reading this. It’s not cheap but I don’t have any more problems with thread tension. I don’t use it to its full potential, I’m sure but keep some favorite threads on it.

https://www.hffcustomrods.com/produc...ge-al-engling/
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

10. Member
    This is what has worked well for me.
    Use a hand file and rough up the foot ever so slightly, just something to catch on, so it isn't 100% smooth.
    Set the tension so the tension rod is pointed right at the rod, then tighten slightly (like 1/8 of a turn)
    Tape the guide foot to the blank. On double foot guides you only need to tape 1 side.
    When you start up the foot, do 2-3 wraps spread apart a bit and slide it down with your burnishing tool.
    Then, each wrap, tighten the wraps until you get 4-5 on the foot stable, then back off the tension and finish the wrap.

I might overthink it, but that's how I do it.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

11. Member
    Ever so small amount of a melted hot glue stick. Just touch the guide to it and then position the guide on the blank to wrap.

12. Member
    The stuff specifically made for guide placement is not the same as the tip top stick, it holds well enough to wrap a guide, but not so hard as to not break away and allow you to adjust the guides for final alignment.

13. Member
    I used to have the same problem. I finally started shaping all my feet and haven't had a problem since. I am able to wrap straight up the foot with no gaps packed back down....like I used to have to do. Just a little shaping can go a long way. I also use small pieces of tape wrapped tightly around the foot. I tape as close to the end as I can get to get about 8 wraps and then remove the tape.

14. Member
    I use the guide tubing available from Mud Hole. I have one of each size that they sell. I like it because I can cut it to any width I like. When I get down to the running guides, I'll slip on another small piece and slide it up against the guide after I have it in its' proper position.

And what Dylevan says about finally stating to shape the tip of the foot of every guide, makes all the difference in the world. Like him, I haven't had a problem with guides sliding up the blank since I started doing it. And I wrap under high thread tension. It takes some effort to do final adjustments on the guides prior to applying finish.

Like he said, a little shaping can go along way.

+1 on the bands. That’s what I use also. One other thing that they allow is when you static test your rod, you can easily adjust the runners to fit the rod better. Like me, if you usually end up adding a runner just tape that one.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763