Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I've been playing golf for over 30 years. I hacked at 90+ for 25 years. I'm strong and athletic but did not get the game. When I was in my late 40's, I delcared I will get better because I can't accept this game in retirment. ~8 years later I'm actually pretty good. 3 key thoughts

1- Yellow back tommy armour book from mid-1950's. Read it, it is simple, forget complex youtube. focus on basics
    2- Learn to putt. Picking up an old 2ball mallet putter send me on a learning journey. I'm a very good putter for a guy who shoots 82 and I have a lifetime of improvement remaining
    3- fix your body, fix your swing- this is a book by DJ's trainer. Teaches golf fundamentals, not an exercise book. He knows more in his movements then we do. Teaches balance and rotation not hitting at the ball.

thank me 30,000 balls and 8 years later
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I usually average 2-3 putts a hole and my short game is horrendous under 50 yards and I’m trash. whenever I use a 60deg or try pitching onto the green I usually end up hitting the ball so it either goes 2’ or it bee lines straight across the green to the other side.

last time I was out I saw one guy load up his backswing like he was going for a 100yd shot with his same wedge but the ball just gracefully lobbed into the air, went 30ft and stopped about 5 ft from the hole. So I tried it, and the ball got 1ft off the ground but went 10yds past the hole. It was at that moment that I realized I have no idea what I’m doing
    Any golfer that doesn’t shoot in 70’s more than half the time shouldn’t own a 60 degree wedge and any golfer that averages over 85 should be chipping with 7 or 8 iron and putter 90% of the time. For putting, go to a practice green at least 3 times a week. Bring 5 balls. After a few warmups, put the balls in a straight line at approximately 5’,10’,15,20’,25’. Use 6 tees to make a visual image of a circle around the hole that has a radius of ‘in the leather’. Putt them back to back starting with the closest. You’re not trying to make any. You’re only trying to get them in the circle. Get the feel and rhythm pendulum length requirements relative to distance. Don’t worry about anything but training your brain rhythm of distance.

3. Member
    Oh and remember a great old classic Lee Trevino tip. You dance with the one you brought to the dance. If you hit the ball left to right, quit aiming straight thinking you going to fix it. Aim to the left and let it curve to the middle. You can shave a lot strokes without getting better. And at some point, spend $75-100 for a good lesson but just ask the instructor to keep it simple.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Any golfer that doesn’t shoot in 70’s more than half the time shouldn’t own a 60 degree wedge and any golfer that averages over 85 should be chipping with 7 or 8 iron and putter 90% of the time. For putting, go to a practice green at least 3 times a week. Bring 5 balls. After a few warmups, put the balls in a straight line at approximately 5’,10’,15,20’,25’. Use 6 tees to make a visual image of a circle around the hole that has a radius of ‘in the leather’. Putt them back to back starting with the closest. You’re not trying to make any. You’re only trying to get them in the circle. Get the feel and rhythm pendulum length requirements relative to distance. Don’t worry about anything but training your brain rhythm of distance.
    I agree with this. A high handicap player should be using a 54 or 56 wedge at the most. It also should be a cavity back wedge with a high bounce of maybe 10 or12*. Cleveland makes some user friendly wedges. Another thing for approaching the green would be a chipper.You can pick one up used for about $20-$25.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12