Echomap Ultra 126sv Won't Turn Off

I've had two Garmin Echomap Ultra 126sv units (bow & console), an LVS-34, and a Steadycast heading sensor installed and networked on my boat for about 18 months. All have been updated to the latest software revisions. Everything has been working normally with no issues up until today.

A few minutes after booting up everything on the lake this morning, I got a message on my console unit to the effect of "lost communication with heading sensor." It was a bit perplexing, but I just continued on and fished all morning. Everything seemed to work fine. When I got back to the dock around mid-day, I went to power down everything and something strange happened. I hit the power button on the console unit, then hit the POWER icon and selected "power off devices." Normally this shuts everything down, but today it shut down the bow unit (and the attached Livescope) but did not power off the console unit. The console unit showed messages like "sonar signal lost" and "Panoptics signal lost" but the unit stayed powered up. I tried pressing and holding the power button, as well as repeatedly selecting the POWER icon and "power off devices" with no success. After ~10 minutes of trying, I went back by the batteries and flipped the clean power circuit breaker to shut down the console unit. Very strange. Thinking it was just a strange glitch, I went back out fishing this afternoon and booted up the system while idling out of the harbor. I essentially repeated the entire pattern above.

Anyone seen anything like this before? Any suggestions before I call Garmin Tech Support?

Thanks!
    -Robert
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL, 200 Mercury Optimax, 25p Tempest+

Did you use Active Captain for the update? I had this problem several months ago with an update and had to install it from an SD card to fix it.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Yes, I did use Active Captain for the update. It appeared to complete normally, and the unit worked for several trips after that, but maybe something still went wrong with the update. I'll check in to doing an SD card update.

4. Member
    I had the same issue awhile back i had to disconnect power chord on graph plugged it back in and havent had a issue since.

5. Member
    Quick update. After I got the boat back in the garage and everything sat for a couple of days I couldn't replicate the problem. I powered the Garmin units up and down several times and everything worked normally. It may have been related to the heat on the water that day I had the issue, or something else.

While I'm fond of saying "problems that go away by themselves often come back by themselves," this time I think I'm going to forget about this one unless it arises again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

6. Member
    Had this exact same issue today. First time seeing it after having my unit installed for a month. Will be interesting to see if it happens again or not. I have it on a disconnect switch so at least I had an easy work around to get it turned off.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

7. Expert at Retired Ranger Skipper's Avatar
    My 126sv Ultra was doing the same thing. Contacted Garmin support and they sent me a re-certified unit under warranty. Installed it two days ago. Powers on and off as advertised. I think its something inherrent to the 126 because my 106's have never not powered down

Not to derail but I'm still having a power issue with the helm station that for the life of me I cant figure out. The 106 that used to be at the helm where the 126 is now did the same thing.

You can check out the video I just posted in this forum and let me know what you think. Really weird and impossible to explain how it is receiving power when there is no power to it.

8. Member
    I've been out a number of times since this issue in March of not being able to power down my 126 and haven't seen it again. So far, so good...