Thread: Strange issue

Strange issue

Ok ive got a 2018 G2 250. Hadn't used it in 2 years, hooked everything up and it starts right up no issues. I get to lake fish a few hours no issues. then try and start and nothing, you hear the electronic stuff start up but no starter. turn key back and forth and finally starts like normal . I figured maybe bad connection at battery would fix it. Tried just hooking up electronics for outboard only , no difference it takes several key cycles for it to start. No codes shown just the delay in starting. All connections have been cleaned and dielectric grease at terminals.

Any idea what's going on? It seams like if i let it start up (electronic sound in dash display) without turning key all the way to start it seams to start after a while.

2. Member
    Need some clarity please. “Try and start, nothing” - do you mean the engine is not cranking over?
    what is “electronic stuff”? There is nothing that I know of for a G2 that makes an electronic sound in the dash display. What display do you have?
    what was done to the battery after sitting two years?

please provide your engine model number so we know what G2 you have. Evinrude stopped using model years in 2012.

3. Member
    Ill have the model tomorrow its at my shop right now. The noise im referring to is when you turn the key to the on position , you can hear an electronic sound like its powering up. It done that from day one. It does crank once it decides to. By that i mean you can turn the key all the way over and nothing as far as starter engaging. When it finally does its strong like nothing is wrong. Which is why i was thinking bad connection, Battery is brand new with full charge. Interstate group 31

Northern Cincinnati Ohio Close Enough like it or not its where I am
    Mine was the key switch itself. But you have to test things first. Don't just throw parts at it.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Member
    You are hearing an electric fuel pump.
    The key switch could be problem but not high on my list. The battery cables at the engine connect to studs. There are other battery cables hidden behind the those two studs. These have been known to be loose. Check the retaining nuts on the hidden side.
    Check the connection on the starter assist solenoid.
    what about poor connections on the battery selector switch if there is one?

6. Member
    I had a G2 250 2015 that did that, turned out to be the fuel pump or I think it was called the VST. Changed that out and no more starting issues. As soon as the engine turn over it started.

7. Member
    My 2016 200 G2 does the same thing. Turn key, goes thru some type of check sequence where tach pegs then back to zero, nothing. Keep the key on...eventually it cranks and starts on the first try.

I experienced the symptom of nothing happening when you turned the key switch to the start position, after troubleshooting the issue it was determined it was the key switch! It seem that there were some bad switches that had contact issues, the bad switches had black sleeves the new improved switches had grey sleeves. After checking the battery, starter, cable Connections and the solenoid then check out the switch!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

9. Member
    So if I pull the switch out the terminals will tell
    me which I have? I took. Picture of model number but it was too large to upload here.

10. Member
    Working now. Guess it had some corrosion in the switch working as it should now

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger195 View Post
    Working now. Guess it had some corrosion in the switch working as it should now
    Did you do anything to it?