Puma STS/Caracal STS with 300R?

Ok guys, which one of these would you prefer? Curious as to top speed differences but I guess as I’ve aged a bit I’m not quite as concerned with ultimate top end. I’m not looking to push 90 mph. I would love to be able to run 80+ tournament loaded. Neither of my Eyras with 250’s have done that. Both ran 80 but only under perfect conditions.

will a Puma STS do it? I think coming from an Eyra hull the Caracal may be a little less of a jump in the big boat category.

I would also love some first hand opinions on the tackle storage options for both. I absolutely love the coffin lid storage on my Eyra and I think I would miss that a lot.

How much better does the Puma ride than the caracal in the rough stuff?

Thank you for your opinions and experiences.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

2. Member
    Puma STS 300r 7hrs. 25 rods lots of tackle 3 100 amp lith and x2 agm 2 guys 210 each 3/4 gas 82.7 so far love it

Chris, most would be more pleased with a Puma STS.

BCB

4. Member
    I have a 23 Puma STS with a 250 Mercury 4 stroke. I’ve touched 77mph with light load and perfect conditions. I can run 72+ with full tournament load, 2 people, full tanks and livewells. Rough water ride is great. I came from a 198 Champion and I was pleasantly surprised with the rough water ride. It took a minute to learn to drive the BassCat compared to the Champion, but I much prefer the Puma now. Good luck.

5. Banned
    If you want an 80 MPH loaded boat just get a Pantera 2 with a 200 SHO and flash it to a 300.

6. Member
    Puma STS -- and I came from a boat 1 foot longer. Puma deck space is incredible. Ride is at least, and probably better than my old boat I moved from. I could not think of a more perfect setup than an STS w/a 300. maybe a jag w/a 400

You can’t go wrong with either.

I am running a Caracal SST with 300 ProXS and could not be happier.

Puma STS is also a great choice.

As far as storage they are both great. I think I like the Caracal center boxes better that my old puma FTD, but the Starboard rod locker gets a little tight with 8 foot rods, never had the issue with. Old rig.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

8. Member
    Love my PumaSTS with the regular 300 proxs. The ride and deck for a old guy is perfect

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    If you want an 80 MPH loaded boat just get a Pantera 2 with a 200 SHO and flash it to a 300.
    I had a Pantera Classic for 14 years. It had a 3.0 liter Merc that was modified and would consistently run 83 mph loaded. It was a fun rig and I still miss it. But after 10 years in a 20 footer I am not ready to downsize. I would not hesitate to go to a P-2 when that time comes though!

Thank you all for the comments. I will definitely ride in and look at both before finally deciding to pull the trigger.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    I had a Pantera Classic for 14 years. It had a 3.0 liter Merc that was modified and would consistently run 83 mph loaded. It was a fun rig and I still miss it. But after 10 years in a 20 footer I am not ready to downsize. I would not hesitate to go to a P-2 when that time comes though!

Thank you all for the comments. I will definitely ride in and look at both before finally deciding to pull the trigger.
    Shap, I'm looking at the same two boats myself, but with a 250. No around here has the Caracal STS that I know of, hoping to get to ride/drive each one first.

11. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shapfromla View Post
    Ok guys, which one of these would you prefer? Curious as to top speed differences but I guess as I’ve aged a bit I’m not quite as concerned with ultimate top end. I’m not looking to push 90 mph. I would love to be able to run 80+ tournament loaded. Neither of my Eyras with 250’s have done that. Both ran 80 but only under perfect conditions.

will a Puma STS do it? I think coming from an Eyra hull the Caracal may be a little less of a jump in the big boat category.

I would also love some first hand opinions on the tackle storage options for both. I absolutely love the coffin lid storage on my Eyra and I think I would miss that a lot.

How much better does the Puma ride than the caracal in the rough stuff?

Thank you for your opinions and experiences.
    Ole Chad must be getting close to putting that 300R on that Phoenix.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel1 View Post
    IF Coota puts a 300 on that 721 I will have to do something! No way I'm letting a 721 come by my EYRA! LOL!!
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

14. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Now we know the truth......

15. Member
    Chad St. Pierre
    Paulina LA 70763