Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    From what I've been told, the Nissan's and the Infiniti's have tranny problem. Not sure what years or even if the info is correct but a Nissan dealer told me the Armana has issues.
    The Benz and Audi are expensive to repair especially the Benz.
    Jeep.....if you do some research, Jeep is not exactly very reliable vehicle. I know many will argue but that is what I found when I was doing exactly what your doing....looking for a good, reliable mid size SUV.
    The Honda and the lexus....cant go wrong. Both great suv's but the Lexus has the luxury and some nice features. We bought a GX and we've got a 4runner. The 4runner has become the dog hauler, tow rig, driving on the beach , and the around town fun rig. The GX will replace the 4runner when the time comes because it can do it all better.
    I don't know if the newer ones are different but a customer of mine has a 2013 Armada that I have done all the service on since brand new. About 150K on it now and it has had 0 issues with the engine, transmission, or any of the drivetrain except one CV axle that wore out because the boot got torn. Still starts up and runs like brand new. All that has needed replaced on it over the years is a starter, leaking power steering line, front wheel bearings, ball joints and control arm bushings. Very impressed with it for the most part. The 5.6 liter V8 has plenty of power and still runs like brand new.

2. Member
    I fish with a guy that works at the Nissan Smyrna plant, Nissan sold his division to the Chinese. After a long line of Nissan products he drives a Tundra.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    From what I've been told, the Nissan's and the Infiniti's have tranny problem. Not sure what years or even if the info is correct but a Nissan dealer told me the Armana has issues.
    The Benz and Audi are expensive to repair especially the Benz.
    Jeep.....if you do some research, Jeep is not exactly very reliable vehicle. I know many will argue but that is what I found when I was doing exactly what your doing....looking for a good, reliable mid size SUV.
    The Honda and the lexus....cant go wrong. Both great suv's but the Lexus has the luxury and some nice features. We bought a GX and we've got a 4runner. The 4runner has become the dog hauler, tow rig, driving on the beach , and the around town fun rig. The GX will replace the 4runner when the time comes because it can do it all better.
    Jeep is one brand that is polarizing. Either folks get a vehicle that is as reliable as anyone could ask for, or they think they’re junk. Seems like there’s really no inbetween. We have been very pleased with the Jeeps/Durangos that we’ve had in our family.

the Ford Explorers are another polarizing vehicle. We haven’t had good luck with the two that me and my dad owned (albeit they were both 8-12yo), both needed extensive mechanical work prior to 100k miles. Yet two of my sister in laws have newer explorers (2018+) and they rant and rave about dependability. One is a die hard Explorer fan and has never once had a major problem in the 4 that she owned.

Would love a Pilot, but they’re near impossible to find with a factory tow package. I prefer the 4Runner but my wife thinks they’re ugly, yet she likes the looks of the Wranglers and Broncos (which to me look like the 4Runner ).
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Jeep is one brand that is polarizing. Either folks get a vehicle that is as reliable as anyone could ask for, or they think they’re junk. Seems like there’s really no inbetween. We have been very pleased with the Jeeps/Durangos that we’ve had in our family.
    Got a buddy still driving a 1995 jeep cherokee. Rusting badly but 30 years old and starts.

I was extremely pleased with my 2011 Durango up until major bills started to mount after 10 years. It wasn't that I did not expect to pay to repair but the vehicle has many designs that are horrible to work on. I had a small coolant leak and my garage shared that it was a complex design requiring a Dodge part of 1400 and 700 for calibration of the part. They commented that the repair could be done on most other vehicles for $400 but this was a design choice. They noticed more complexity coming my way and suggested I sell it. Was not fit to be an old car for a young driver. I'm not saying it is junk. Just saying your experience is quite different then mine.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

5. Member
    Wife has a Honda Passport. Same drive train as a pilot. We added a factory tranny cooler, we bought the SUV brand new. She pulls my Z21 a few times a year. It does ok. Get some noise with the unibody.

6. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by OH_Ranger View Post
    Wife has a Honda Passport. Same drive train as a pilot. We added a factory tranny cooler, we bought the SUV brand new. She pulls my Z21 a few times a year. It does ok. Get some noise with the unibody.
    Does it get extra loud when the receiver clunks like my Grand Cherokee did? Sounded like someone was hitting the underside with a hammer. Had to tape it up real good to get rid of the metal on metal contact.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    I’ll also add i know a couple people who tow 18ft boats with 150/175s hanging off the back with ford escapes, ford mavericks, and a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, all with 3500lb capacity, multiple times a week without ever missing a tourney due to mechanical problems. Those guys tow all over the state and up through the mountains (sometimes 4hours one way) and never had an issue. The escape and wrangler both had over 200k when they were traded in.

I think what is also overlooked on here is frequency of towing. If someone tows multiple times a week for long distances or through mountain passes and extreme heat, then sure a full size pickup is obvious choice. But for guys like me who might tow a pop up camper and 18ft boat maybe 10 times a year total, and the other 355 days are just normal driving, the Wranglers and other 3500lb capacity vehicle are probably sufficient.

that said, I prefer atleast 5000lb capacity
    Last edited by ECobb91; 05-22-2024 at 05:45 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v

8. Member
    Used to have an Audi Q7 that the wife towed the boat with when we go camping. I tow the 5th wheel with the truck. The Audi di a great job with the supercharged V6 3.0 ltr. When you plug the trailer harness in it would automatically go into tow mode. We recently traded it for a Tahoe to have something newer.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Garmin Force
    8' Raptors

Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    Used to have an Audi Q7 that the wife towed the boat with when we go camping. I tow the 5th wheel with the truck. The Audi di a great job with the supercharged V6 3.0 ltr. When you plug the trailer harness in it would automatically go into tow mode. We recently traded it for a Tahoe to have something newer.
    I have been looking at the Q7 some, they seem to get very good reviews and ratings for the most part. And the Audi forums are saying they tow very well. What year was your Q7? I know they had a big redesign in 2017.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Highcentered View Post
    Does it get extra loud when the receiver clunks like my Grand Cherokee did? Sounded like someone was hitting the underside with a hammer. Had to tape it up real good to get rid of the metal on metal contact.
    That's exactly what my dad's Grand Cherokee does - I had to pull over to make sure everything was okay the first time I towed the boat with that! I added some of those spacers that tighten up the receiver and that helped some.
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I’ll also add i know a couple people who tow 18ft boats with 150/175s hanging off the back with ford escapes, ford mavericks, and a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, all with 3500lb capacity, multiple times a week without ever missing a tourney due to mechanical problems. Those guys tow all over the state and up through the mountains (sometimes 4hours one way) and never had an issue. The escape and wrangler both had over 200k when they were traded in.

I think what is also overlooked on here is frequency of towing. If someone tows multiple times a week for long distances or through mountain passes and extreme heat, then sure a full size pickup is obvious choice. But for guys like me who might tow a pop up camper and 18ft boat maybe 10 times a year total, and the other 355 days are just normal driving, the Wranglers and other 3500lb capacity vehicle are probably sufficient.

that said, I prefer atleast 5000lb capacity
    Those are good points for sure...I'm towing 4-5 times a month, usually within and hour and a half at the most and mostly flat or smaller hills. I'm thinking any of the SUV's with a 5000+ lb tow rating would be fine. AWD/4WD is a must and needs to have a few creature comforts as well!
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    Those are good points for sure...I'm towing 4-5 times a month, usually within and hour and a half at the most and mostly flat or smaller hills. I'm thinking any of the SUV's with a 5000+ lb tow rating would be fine. AWD/4WD is a must and needs to have a few creature comforts as well!

agree, in south florida running around the lake okeechobee region any small SUV would work. speeds are typically 65mph or less and flat as a board. Some SUV's are rear wheel drive (e.g. new explorer) but otherwise I'd want awd. imagine a pothole or something submerged on the ramp and all power up front would not be good imo
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

13. Member
    Just be careful with the Nissans, I think they have a CVT transmission. Not sure, but ask.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    Just be careful with the Nissans, I think they have a CVT transmission. Not sure, but ask.
    Yep, the Pathfinder has the CVT so I've removed it from the list. I've heard the newer ones dropped the CVT, but they also have gone to a 4cyl now as well...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    Yep, the Pathfinder has the CVT so I've removed it from the list. I've heard the newer ones dropped the CVT, but they also have gone to a 4cyl now as well...
    Newer Parhfinders 21 up are not cvt (9 speed)and not 4 cylinder yet. Build them every day.

Quote Originally Posted by pantherdad View Post
    Newer Parhfinders 21 up are not cvt (9 speed)and not 4 cylinder yet. Build them every day.
    That's good info, thanks for the correction. I hadn't looked at the newer ones because they were above the budget...looks like the cheapest 2022 or newer one with AWD/4WD and the tow package near me is around $30k. My goal in all this is to downsize AND get rid of a truck payment! So my budget is closer to $20k right now...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com

17. Member
    My first and only experience towing with a unibody SUV was with a new 2002 Ford Escape. I was towing a jon boat and every creak of the hitch was transmitted throughout the cabin. I did not keep the vehicle very long. Traded it for a 2002 F-150 with 5.4 V-8 and never looked back.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    My first and only experience towing with a unibody SUV was with a new 2002 Ford Escape. I was towing a jon boat and every creak of the hitch was transmitted throughout the cabin. I did not keep the vehicle very long. Traded it for a 2002 F-150 with 5.4 V-8 and never looked back.
    a guy I fished with towed an 18ft boat with a late 00s ford escape, never had an issue… towed it multiple times a week from May to October, all over the state upwards of 4hours one way, traded it in when it hit over 200k miles.. I’ve also seen a couple guys towing 14-16ft ton boats with Prius’..

I have a small trailer for my 12’ jon boat that I mostly used when we’d go camping. There was more noise from the jon boat trailer than what I have with my Ranger.

It goes without saying that a full size boat it’s better at towing. But come on, you bought a v8 for a jon boat/trailer combo that probably weighed less than 800lbs?
    1995 Ranger 481v

19. Member
    This is a great thread. I drive a 2021 Chevy Traverse for my company vehicle, and they won't let me tow with it (even though my boss does with his company vehicle). I am set to get a new vehicle this summer (80k miles or 3 years- I am at both) and they can let me buy it out ($18k) which I had considered so I could tow my Ranger with it...instead of the old beaten down Dodge Dakota pick-up truck. My replacement vehicle is a Nissan Pathfinder- sounds like I am SOL in both instances.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BurntEndz View Post
    This is a great thread. I drive a 2021 Chevy Traverse for my company vehicle, and they won't let me tow with it (even though my boss does with his company vehicle). I am set to get a new vehicle this summer (80k miles or 3 years- I am at both) and they can let me buy it out ($18k) which I had considered so I could tow my Ranger with it...instead of the old beaten down Dodge Dakota pick-up truck. My replacement vehicle is a Nissan Pathfinder- sounds like I am SOL in both instances.
    18k for a 2021 Traverse? If you’re happy with the car, take it. Thats atleast 12k less than what they’re sold for that year. We considered them but hard to find one with a tow package. the 2021s are being sold for like 30-40k depending on trim. If anything, buy it out, the resell it shortly after for a pretty good gain.

A traverse will tow just fine depending on the size of your boat. I’d say less than 20ft it’s more that sufficient. Get into the 4k pound range and might not be the best for long trips but still around 80% of max. Might even tow better than the Dakota
    Last edited by ECobb91; 05-26-2024 at 12:36 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast