margay owners with 150hp 4 stroke that have used the 23 scorpion

Just ran this for the first time, two guy's loaded and it lifted fine but something weird happened a couple of times that I have never felt. The ass end of the boat felt like it slid out to the right a couple of times like the prop lost bite or something. We had about an eight of a tank of gas and I don't believe I over trimmed but just wondering what that might have been. Jack plate is factory setting and hasn't been touched in 10 years, maybe this prop needs a lower motor?

any insight

2. Member
    Sorry 2 stroke

3. Member
    Havent had that happen on my cat, but on my champion it would only do that with a Tempest + (similar characteristics as a scorpion prop) running too low. Those props like to run a little bit higher usually. Might be worth raising the plate .5" or so and running it again.

That’s actually more common on an engine that is too low, though on a Margay it can happen at one place with lighter loads. Usually that speed is not on top and happens at about 90% of top end. Raising the motor might alleviate it, if you still get top end bite?

5. Member
    Yes it was happening around 45mph as the speeds were climbing never max it out. I will raise the plate a smidge and see if that alleviates the issue, kind of a scary feeling as the speeds are climbing. In 30 years of driving boats I have never felt that, I am assuming also having more gas might help as well?

this happens on my pantera classic (2018) when the engine is too low (happens with a scorpion or a tempest). raise motor height.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

7. Member
    I've never had that with my margay and 23 scorpion. I'm in Lagrange park if you want to compare setups.