Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    That's to bad. My plan was to go to little squam yesterday but I ended up having to work really late. Decided to sleep later and fish closer to home.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

2. Member
    Took a rain off yesterday due to rain, so I hit one of the local lakes after it slacked off. Took me a while to figure it out, but the spawn was on. I saw pairs of both species, a good number of male smallmouth on beds, and a handful of largemouth singles as well. There were a couple of packs of males moving around together. Bed fish were unforgiving - if they saw you, they moved off. I caught around 10 (80% smallies) with a dropshot, but the real fun was putting the TM on 5 and firing a spinnerbait up under overhanging trees. The LM were absolutely blasting it - most appeared to be prespawn. Got close to 20 of those bites in the boat, with the biggest about 3#.

I did miss a golden opportunity early on - I had one bite and saw one and nothing else at this point...

I had a delivery scheduled to a job, with instruction for the driver to call me if there was a problem. I'm fishing a rocky point, and had just thrown a structure jig into a pile of boulders in 10'.
    I get a phone all - caller ID says it's him. At the same moment, I feel a bite. Look at the rod, look at the phone... Verify, yeah it's a fish.

Set the rod down and take the call. Hang up, yep the fish is still there. Set the hook and the braid breaks off in the rocks. Dang.

What I should have done?
    "Hello. Can you hold? I have a caller on the other line"
    Last edited by bassboat1; 05-09-2024 at 06:49 AM.

3. Member
    Wore out the buck bass at Island Pond yesterday. Most bites were in 6"-2' on a spinnerbait. Bigger prespawn females (up to 3#) ate a crank bait (Bandit 200 and DT-6) on rockpiles in 10'. FWIW, both this and my prior outing relied heavily on a spinnerbait, and probably 75% were caught on the trailer hook only.

Unusual catch of the day:
    Boat ing.png
    Last edited by bassboat1; 05-12-2024 at 08:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Took a rain off yesterday due to rain, so I hit one of the local lakes after it slacked off. Took me a while to figure it out, but the spawn was on. I saw pairs of both species, a good number of male smallmouth on beds, and a handful of largemouth singles as well. There were a couple of packs of males moving around together. Bed fish were unforgiving - if they saw you, they moved off. I caught around 10 (80% smallies) with a dropshot, but the real fun was putting the TM on 5 and firing a spinnerbait up under overhanging trees. The LM were absolutely blasting it - most appeared to be prespawn. Got close to 20 of those bites in the boat, with the biggest about 3#.

I did miss a golden opportunity early on - I had one bite and saw one and nothing else at this point...

I had a delivery scheduled to a job, with instruction for the driver to call me if there was a problem. I'm fishing a rocky point, and had just thrown a structure jig into a pile of boulders in 10'.
    I get a phone all - caller ID says it's him. At the same moment, I feel a bite. Look at the rod, look at the phone... Verify, yeah it's a fish.

Set the rod down and take the call. Hang up, yep the fish is still there. Set the hook and the braid breaks off in the rocks. Dang.

What I should have done?
    "Hello. Can you hold? I have a caller on the other line"

You definitely should have said, you got someone on the other line.
    Anthrax

I went to Glen lake today. Didn't start out to well.
    Loaded the boat and hooked up the trailer. Drove about 3 feet and a brake line blew.
    At least it happened before I got down the road.
    Un hooked the boat and had my buddy tow with his truck.
    It was a slow day. Only got 1 small mouth and a brook trout along with the usual crappie and perch. Water temp was 56-62. Caught the bass on a chatterbait and the trout on a drop shot
    Anthrax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    I went to Glen lake today. Didn't start out to well.
    GJ on persevering. I haven't been to Glen in probably 15 years. IIRC, there are some good docks, but it fishes "small" overall?

Spent 4 afternoon hours at Massabesic yesterday. Water's close to 60. Didn't see any bedding activity, but visibility was limited. Got one on a spinnerbait in last year's grass, and 6 more (all in an area I've ever fished before) on a Bandit 200 and a RkCrawler 55 in 4'-10'. Mixed bag that topped by a 3#, and caught a Crappie that was half that size. Milfoil is greening up, but nothing in/around it for me.

Glad you made it out to Massabesic. I've only been there a few times.
    Yes Glen lake fishes small. That's why I went there but it didn't help me one bit. Lol
    Anthrax

Made it out to Winnisquam yesterday. Water temp was 57-61.
    I found a area with some beds around with smallmouth on them.
    I fished that area out a little deeper, around 10' and caught about 12 smallmouth and 1 large mouth. 3 of the smallmouth and the large mouth were around 3 pounds.
    I seen a few really nice large and smallmouth in the area but couldn't get them to bite.
    I had what I think was a juvenile eagle swoop down at a rockbass I was reeling in.
    Everything was caught on a jerkbait, drop shot and a spybait.
    Anthrax

Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Made it out to Winnisquam yesterday. Water temp was 57-61.
    I found a area with some beds around with smallmouth on them.
    I fished that area out a little deeper, around 10' and caught about 12 smallmouth and 1 large mouth. 3 of the smallmouth and the large mouth were around 3 pounds.
    I seen a few really nice large and smallmouth in the area but couldn't get them to bite.
    I had what I think was a juvenile eagle swoop down at a rockbass I was reeling in.
    Everything was caught on a jerkbait, drop shot and a spybait.
    nice!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

10. Member
    Smallmouth are just starting to spawn at Newfound (water temp 57). Decent numbers of beds, most with a fish nearby (but not locked on), plenty of fish cruising too. They were mighty nervous near the beds - and the overcast conditions didn't help. I ran into something I've never seen - I was up in a pocket, flipping the dropshot ahead of the boat as I scanned the shallows when a good one took it. I look up, and there's a school of 50-60 two and three pound fish on the flat in 3'-6'. Most were not bass (Whitefish I think - trouty-looking guys with a white leading edge on the pectoral fins?). Bass were mixed in and just hanging with the other fellas - at least 15-20 of them. None of them were boat-shy and I caught 8 or 10 smallies sight fishing to them with the DS. Also saw multiple schools of rainbows up in 4'-8', feeding off the surface. Only saw one other boat in bass water all day.

11. Member
    Saw beds on Massasecum yesterday but not many on them. Water 64/65 . Caught a fair amount on a variety of baits mostly soft plastics. More pickerel than we’ve ever seen,we caught maybe 10 or 12 in 5 hours,especially up north end. Couple of decent Crappy.
    Red Sox in 6!

12. Member
    Northwood played tough Sunday. Couldn't get bit shallow - no evidence of bedding, and only saw one 2# fish (in the inlet). Had one short smallmouth to my name after 4 hours, before a #5.50 largemouth ate a crankbait - she was in 6' on a boulder. Had the place to myself, water temp is 62.
    20240519_140048.jpg

Glad you got out there Phil. Did you fish with Russ ?
    Hope your both doing well.
    Anthrax

Nice job sticking it out for the 5 pounder Eric
    Anthrax

stopped by to see if you folks are out and catchin. Then I heard that magic word....... KEZAR !!! top water first thing then a white Stanley spinnerbait the rest of the day. If you can't pick them up tossing toward the shore don't hesitate to throw deep. Still wish I have one trip left there before Jesus is my partner Hope y'all are doing well and have a great year catchin

BTW, try Gile Pond. It's close by to Kezar. Obviously I haven't fished it in years but used to enjoy the peacefullness and fish. Anyone goes please let us now how you did. Used to use just worms. Don't be afraid to stay deep.

Good to hear from you Jazz. I fish Gile every once in a while since you showed me the place. I'll take some pictures next time I go.
    Anthrax

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZ View Post
    stopped by to see if you folks are out and catchin. Then I heard that magic word....... KEZAR !!! top water first thing then a white Stanley spinnerbait the rest of the day. If you can't pick them up tossing toward the shore don't hesitate to throw deep. Still wish I have one trip left there before Jesus is my partner Hope y'all are doing well and have a great year catchin
    C'mon up I'll take you there! Good to hear from you again!
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

19. Member
    Fun with some fry-guarders on the Contoocook yesterday afternoon
    20240530_172735.jpg

Nice job.
    Got to love a frog bite
    Anthrax

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast