Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario

Singapore Airlines flight

Severe turbulence with one fatality, had to be a terrifying flight. The 777 held together though, one hell of an aircraft.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

2. Member
    As someone who deals with fear of flying, turbulence is always on my mind. I wonder if the person that was killed was buckled in? I can't see turbulence causing a death any other way.
    Boatless Bank Trash for now

3. Member

4. Member
    So dumb question.

Do fighter jets experience turbulence?

5. Member
    Don't fly very often, but when I do, as soon as I sit in my seat, my belt goes on. I don't have a fear of flying, I have a fear of crashing !

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    As someone who deals with fear of flying, turbulence is always on my mind. I wonder if the person that was killed was buckled in? I can't see turbulence causing a death any other way.
    There is a report that the deceased person, a U.S. citizen age 73, had an underlying heart ailment that might have contributed to his death. Key word is “might” and because he was a U.S. citizen the NTSB will be involved.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    There is a report that the deceased person, a U.S. citizen age 73, had an underlying heart ailment that might have contributed to his death. Key word is “might” and because he was a U.S. citizen the NTSB will be involved.
    This is what I heard also.

8. DINK CATCHER
    Singapore Airlines seems to be a really good airline. I'm sure Mentour Pilot will make a video about it and break down what happened step by step. Something had to of been bad wrong up there for them to not be able to avoid it.

I could be wrong but I think the 777 was the last passenger jet to be developed by Boeing when they were still focused on building a great aircraft and letting the plane sell itself as a quality piece of machinery. When the McDonnel Douglas management took over they switched to cost cutting even if it meant having a less safe plane. Now I'd MUCH rather fly on an Airbus or older Boeing compared to the new Boeing stuff.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO that's optioned to fit my wants and pulled by a little Ram.

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

We had a flight from Tokyo to Singapore. Reports of turbulence ahead so the Capt makes an announcement and the FAs visually check each passenger. One had to be awakened and told to put her belt on. The FA watched her then moved on. Sure as heck, even after an altitude change and a lateral reroute, they hit the crap. Everyone was fine except that one woman. She got launched, came down on the armrest and messed up her back. Badly. They turned back to Okinawa and got her the medical assistance.

Other passengers said she unbuckled just before they started bouncing. The FAs were already strapped in. The witnesses filled out written statements. They came in very handy in getting her lawsuit chucked out of court.

When that pesky sign comes on it’s for a reason.

It was a DC8.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FrancoCialone View Post
    Don't fly very often, but when I do, as soon as I sit in my seat, my belt goes on. I don't have a fear of flying, I have a fear of crashing !
    +1

11. Member
    Seat belt. It's kind of like the PFD. Easy to use if you ever need it. If you do, it's nice to already have it on.

Saw it ABC news last night.

Cracked me up at the end...... Like everything else, it was caused by.................. you ready? ............. Climate Change
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO View Post
    Saw it ABC news last night.

Cracked me up at the end...... Like everything else, it was caused by.................. you ready? ............. Climate Change

No, the problem is bicycles. Wilbur and Orville Wright made a really great bicycle, but they couldn't keep the darn thing on the ground. That's where the trouble started.

Turbulence can be rough. When I was in the AF a B-52 crossing the Rockies hit turbulence. It ripped the entire vertical stabilizer (tail) off. The plane safely landed using the landing gear to steer it.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 05-24-2024 at 06:57 AM.

If you fly enough you will experience it, turbulence effects every plane.

I got rocked in a 757 flying from Vegas to Phoenix. Very busy airway and our flight was restricted to below 25k feet due to traffic and weather earlier that night, and we were warned it was gonna be a bumpy and to keep seatbelts buckled. on a 757 , the wings were flapping as designed. Although we did not experience the drop in altitude but it felt like it was trying to roll the plane. To this day it was the roughest ride in the air that I have experienced. I was shocked how a massive plane like that could be tossed around.

I always wear my seatbelt after this flight. if ur in the seat, put it on.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    No, the problem is bicycles. Wilbur and Orville Wright made a really great bicycle, but they couldn't keep the darn thing on the ground. That's where the trouble started.

Turbulence can be rough. When I was in the AF a B-52 crossing the Rockies hit turbulence. It ripped the entire vertical stabilizer (tail) off. The plane safely landed using the landing gear to steer it.
    Interesting. I just saw a YouTube video about that B52. Apparently turbulence is very common over the Rockies

16. Member
    Not the story you wanna read before the summer travel season.

17. DINK CATCHER
    Quote Originally Posted by smalljawguy View Post
    Interesting. I just saw a YouTube video about that B52. Apparently turbulence is very common over the Rockies
    Yeah, when my uncle would fly between Little Rock and Aspen he would always say the flight over the mountains was "bumpy as hell".
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO that's optioned to fit my wants and pulled by a little Ram.

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

18. DINK CATCHER
    Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    If you fly enough you will experience it, turbulence effects every plane.

I got rocked in a 757 flying from Vegas to Phoenix. Very busy airway and our flight was restricted to below 25k feet due to traffic and weather earlier that night, and we were warned it was gonna be a bumpy and to keep seatbelts buckled. on a 757 , the wings were flapping as designed. Although we did not experience the drop in altitude but it felt like it was trying to roll the plane. To this day it was the roughest ride in the air that I have experienced. I was shocked how a massive plane like that could be tossed around.

I always wear my seatbelt after this flight. if ur in the seat, put it on.
    When it comes to being up in the air in a plane even the big one are somewhat dinky compared to what can happen up there. The 757 is legendary in many ways though. It's a very well built hotrod in the sky and from what I understand shares the same fuselage as the 727 that it was meant to replace. Even has something going on in the floor that had to do with the rear engines on the 727.

19. Member
    I had a fear of flying before I started traveling for work 15 years ago, now I do about 60-75 segments a year and it is truly one of those things where the more you fly the fear subsides. I can fly and sleep through just about anything now. I have been in some severe turbulence and it does not bother me one bit, the sudden altitude drops will get my attention. What I am more worried about is the crazy people who do things like try to open a door.

I used to fly a lot for work many years back. One night I was on a short trip from KC to DC, weather was bad to begin with but I was super tired so once we were on the tarmac I sort of snoozed for a bit, I woke up a few minutes later back at the gate to have the wings de-iced, so I fell back to sleep. The next time I woke up we were in the air and next to me was a screaming FA. We had hit a storm and the turbulence was crazy, it looked like daytime out the window with all the lightning but the worst part about it was having someone that's supposed to keep everyone calm, screaming and panicking themself! Pilot says over the PA for everyone to remain locked in and that we were going to climb to try and get out of the turbulence then head back to KC, that didn't work so he headed south and we ended up in San Antone for the night due to weather. The FA stayed in the back of plane as we deplaned, LoL! Probably didn't want to hear it from us passengers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast