Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Transducer Position for Best Image Quality

Hey BBC!

Since purchasing my Solix 15 G3 SI unit I have not been terribly impressed with the image quality...I am come to the realization that it just most likely is attributed to having the same pixel count of a 12 and it being so close to my face at the console...

The other piece that might be playing a part is the transducer position. I watched a few videos about how to actually do it the right way and that is driving at your graphing speed (4mph) and following these steps:

1)Take a level and some washers
    2) Stack them until you're level while idling at graphing speed
    3) when you get back to your garage jack up the boat with the level and same amount of washers in the exact same spot until your level again
    4) Move the transducer into its level position
    5) tighten it down

The attached photos are what I got. This looks extremely high but I have an 2011 Ranger Z521 (tank) and 5 batteries + talons in the back, so my thinking is that I am just idling super low.

My question is should I trust this process and keep it as it is for the best image quality or something not look right?

Screenshot 2022-08-08 084543.png

Thanks everyone in advance,

Nick M
    NorthStar Custom Baits

2. Member
    That’s the best way to get the transducer setup. How fast is the chart speed set? Are you getting good images just poor pixelization?
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

To get the best Images is to position the transducer so the Imaging pulses are vertical when scanning.
    That will change according to the speed so you have to determine what speed you will be doing it when you perform the coin/level method.

You can also just scan vertical subjects like trees/dock posts. When set correctly they will be recorded perpendicular to the SI center line.

Yes a Helix and SOLIX 15" display is not as HD as the 12" displays.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    That’s the best way to get the transducer setup. How fast is the chart speed set? Are you getting good images just poor pixelization?
    My chart speed is at 5 and I was idling right around 4mph when doing the leveling. Honestly cant put my finger on it...Just doesnt seem as crisp and nothing really POPS out like my helix did. Sent the headunit back to Humminbird and their testing came back ok so I dont know...
    NorthStar Custom Baits

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    To get the best Images is to position the transducer so the Imaging pulses are vertical when scanning.
    That will change according to the speed so you have to determine what speed you will be doing it when you perform the coin/level method.

You can also just scan vertical subjects like trees/dock posts. When set correctly they will be recorded perpendicular to the SI center line.

Yes a Helix and SOLIX 15" display is not as HD as the 12" displays.
    Yeah I was going right at 4 when doing the leveling

Interesting..Might have to give that a shot - thanks wayne
    NorthStar Custom Baits

6. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    An easy way to check and adjust your transducer angle is to troll parallel and close to a bridge piling with Down Image. If the top of the bridge piling slants to the left, the back of the transducer needs to be tilted down. If the top of the bridge piling slants to the right, the back of the transducer needs to be tilted up.

Your transducer also looks really low to me. Typically it is at or above the water line when the boat is on plane. Yours looks way below that. I wouldn't think that would negatively affect the image quality when going slow though.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

7. Member
    Hey guys, I am reviving this post as I am still having the same issues 2 years later....I shouldn't spend $3500 on a unit and be extremely disappointed in it like I have been with this Solix 15....Current settings for side imaging are 5 mph scroll speed, blue color, dynamic contrast off, 17 sensitivity, 13 contrast. I only way to actually see anything is to bump up the sensitivity that high and I have to use Blue as every other color looks even worse.....I am at a loss
    NorthStar Custom Baits

8. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    What depth are you typically in when using Side Imaging? Mega is the best quality but it can be difficult to use it on deeper soft bottoms.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

9. Member
    I’m typically graphing weed edges in the midrange depth of 8-15’
    NorthStar Custom Baits

10. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickmcd63 View Post
    I’m typically graphing weed edges in the midrange depth of 8-15’
    That should be no.problem for Mega Frequency.

11. Member
    Nick, Have you tried a different transducer? Also did you get the transducer with the Solix? (not CHO) Just checking the box to eliminate the possibility of a non “+” ducer. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Quote Originally Posted by nickmcd63 View Post
    Hey guys, I am reviving this post as I am still having the same issues 2 years later....I shouldn't spend $3500 on a unit and be extremely disappointed in it like I have been with this Solix 15....Current settings for side imaging are 5 mph scroll speed, blue color, dynamic contrast off, 17 sensitivity, 13 contrast. I only way to actually see anything is to bump up the sensitivity that high and I have to use Blue as every other color looks even worse.....I am at a loss
    Post some actual screen snaphots (not photos) of your best images.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Nick, Have you tried a different transducer? Also did you get the transducer with the Solix? (not CHO) Just checking the box to eliminate the possibility of a non “+” ducer. Bob
    The XM 14 20 MSI T works fine with a second and third generation SOLIX, just get 83/200 kHz for 2D sonar instead of HW CHIRP. The transducer XID sets the sonar frequencies to match the transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

14. Member
    I was thinking of the power factor. I was under the impression the quality and range would be enhanced by the new transducer. With his boat being a 2011 I was thinking before gen 2.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

I was thinking of the power factor. I was under the impression the quality and range would be enhanced by the new transducer. With his boat being a 2011 I was thinking before gen 2.
    The gen2 has more power than the gen1 and the gen3 has more power than the gen2. Each power upgrade gives Imaging more range. The MSI+ transducer has longer Imaging piezos that can give the units sharper images, BUT none of the three is lacking for detail for weeds or that depth range. That is why a screen snap shot can show what the unit is doing with the OP settings.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    yes I got this unit brand new and it was the ducer that came with it
    NorthStar Custom Baits

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The gen2 has more power than the gen1 and the gen3 has more power than the gen2. Each power upgrade gives Imaging more range. The MSI+ transducer has longer Imaging piezos that can give the units sharper images, BUT none of the three is lacking for detail for weeds or that depth range. That is why a screen snap shot can show what the unit is doing with the OP settings.
    Just figured out how to save screenshots to SD so I will do that in the next couple days.

my only other thought would still be that transducer location. Should I take it off that Jack plate cover and tuck it underneath above the drain plug?
    NorthStar Custom Baits

18. Member
    I’ve also thought about power but I had it done right. Dedicated 6 gauge for each unit back to fuses that lead into a mast switch then to a Amped Lithium 100AH battery. My only thought is that it’s tough to get a great connection going from 10 to 6 gauge at the power cord but other than I feel like we did the power perfectly
    NorthStar Custom Baits

19. Member
    I watched this video recently on SI transducer positioning, and I was going to try making this adjustment to my ducer next time I had a chance to see if it improves images. The method in the video below is totally counter to the washer/level method(trailing end higher than lead end). In the video, he rigs the leading edge of the ducer HIGHER than the trailing end. I'm totally confused now based on comments above.

Quote Originally Posted by JSev1 View Post
    I watched this video recently on SI transducer positioning, and I was going to try making this adjustment to my ducer next time I had a chance to see if it improves images. The method in the video below is totally counter to the washer/level method(trailing end higher than lead end). In the video, he rigs the leading edge of the ducer HIGHER than the trailing end. I'm totally confused now based on comments above.

You tilt DOWN or parallel with the hull bottom a transducer to get Depth when on plane. The transducer has to have a smooth water flow across it to work.

You tilt UP a SI transducer to get the best Images (parallel with the water's surface at idle speed so the Imaging pulses are vertical). That creates cavitation at speed so you add a separate 2D transducer and Y cable so you can have both on-plane 2D and idle speed Imaging.

You cannot have both with a single transducer.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast