Fuel and air pressure. Hairline crack ?

2b116638

Pulled both tracker and air regulator diagrams. To see if this why motor was running bad. Both looked good reinstalled them. Ran compression check all 6 perfect. Checked spark all good. Hooked up gauges again. They are good. Back up one second had to remove lower panels to pull fuel rails out and when I ran motor to check pressures I saw it. Motor has a hairline crack on the starboard lower side. It looks like the intake side of the crank block has the crack behind the reeds and is spitting gas oil and air out when it is running. It’s just below the big tubbing. I think the one going to the oil tank. Not sure if it’s worth fixing. Any ideas

2. Member
    Need picture, or video

3. Member
    It’s on the front half of the crank case

4. Member
    If something came loose in there causing it to crack. Why would it have good compression on all six?

5. Member
    I've seen multiple reman full dressed powerheads straight from Mercury, with cracked cases, but we cant see yours to comment much further.

6. Member
    It is what it is very frustrating. Tell my wife it’s a high tech hot rod. She said you need a truck

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It is possible to replace only the front-half of the case during a rebuild, if the back half is in good condition and the crankshaft sealing ring portion of the block is not worn irregularly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Well I think it’s time to move on to a sho. Very frustrating. I thank all of you for all the great advice y’all kindly give out for free. Most take a lot of time. Don’t know how y’all do it but I thank all of you again. Pure life savers. E J

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Well that idea is probably gonna cost you a bundle too...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Yes it is. A little more than a mercury

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I've seen multiple reman full dressed powerheads straight from Mercury, with cracked cases, but we cant see yours to comment much further.
    me too ,,,, just now starting to sleep more than 1hr a night
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    me too ,,,, just now starting to sleep more than 1hr a night
    Gave us nightmares fo shur lol

13. Member
    I was already looking to trade or sell. If you remember one of my fears was if my engine would break something that would cause it to not be worth repairing. Like I said before the pro xs is a great engine when it’s right but many parts on it could put someone in this situation. It’s a shame everything else on the engine is perfect and soon it will be laying dead on the floor somewhere. Never any problems. Ran great till one day I turned the key and it didn’t.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just remember... they all break (no matter what color they are) eventually. Sho-nough can re-rig and put another engine on there, or make just a few changes and hang a 4-stroke ProXS in it's place.

15. Member
    +1 sho- nuff
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

16. Member
    Got to with my gut. Ran a Yamaha before this one. Lost it in car accident. Made a nice hood ornament. Really like it

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Roger that, EJ. We'll miss you around these parts, but you'll probably be back.

18. Member
    Good one lol