2002 HPSDI fuel pressure issue.

So, I have a 200 HPDI VZ200TLRA Ser l001055 that has a no start condition. I checked the fuel pressure at the vst and it will read 50psi when pump running and no start. As soon as pump shuts off it immediately drops to 20 psi. So, I removed the fuel line at the vst and plugged it. I ran the pump again and this time the fuel pressure stayed at 50 psi when the pump shut off. So, that eliminates the vst pump and puts the issue at the high pressure pump. When on the water it started, idled for a few minutes and slowly died. It left a gas/oil slick on the water. I can't find any external leaks on the motor so it had to come from the cylinders.

When cranking the fuel pressure at the vst drops and fluctuates between 20 and 40 psi.

I am pretty sure the high pressure pump is defective and I would like to purchase another but I can't find the correct part number. Anyone have a source for that part number. I looked at the Yamaha website and can't find any parts info at all.

Any help appreciated.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

2. Member
    From the Yamaha USA website www.yamahaoutboards.com

3. Member
    For the price of that pump I would recommend getting it hooked to a computer and look at high pressure reading

4. Member
    Also flagship Marine used to rebuild them. Not sure if they still do

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianmoore25 View Post
    For the price of that pump I would recommend getting it hooked to a computer and look at high pressure reading
    Did you have it in storage for some time? If so, is this what you had when you took it out for the first time?

6. Member
    Yep, first time out after winter.

7. Member
    I would also check the filter baskets on inlet side of pump.

8. Member
    I pulled the vst and checked the pump screen. It was clean as it could be. What I saw with the pressure gauge was what appeared to be a leak during cranking that dropped fuel pressure at the vst. If you would have seen the amount of fuel and oil in the water you would understand why I think the high pressure pump has gone belly up.

9. Member
    I'm not saying it's not bad but if it wasn't putting out enough pressure I can't figure how it would put oil and fuel in the water. I have seen them put out to much pressure especially on the 2.6L engine's. Have you checked the pulse pumps?

10. Member
    I'm not saying it's not bad but if it wasn't putting out enough pressure I can't figure how it would put oil and fuel in the water. I have seen them put out to much pressure especially on the 2.6L engine's. Have you checked the pulse pumps?
    Yep, as far as I can tell everything up to and through the vst is working correctly. The vst pump is putting plenty of pressure, the pressure regulator seems to be working as I checked it with a vacuum pump, and it holds pressure with the output to the high pressure pump blocked. Once connected to the high pressure pump it immediately drops when the pump is shut off.

11. Member
    There's also a metal cased fuel filter between the vst and high pressure pump that could be checked.

12. Member
    There's also a metal cased fuel filter between the vst and high pressure pump that could be checked.
    It's being replaced also but if it were clogged it would have kept fuel pressure up instead of leaking down as fast as it did.

13. Member
    Did you figure out your issues?

Going to be going thru the fuel system on a Skeeter that has similar issues.

How many filters on a Yamaha set up? thanks