TRITON 21X2 Helm Pedestal Seat... "DUM-DEE-DUM, DUM"

2008 Triton 21X2
    Helm and Passenger seat pedestal post mounting screws stripped completely out of the fiberglass floor!!
    Triton fuel cell mounted UNDER the helm flooring?? SERIOUSLY??

MY Remedy:

After careful inspection and could see full well the LARGE square fuel tank directly under the center seat (as pulled up and is visibly exposed), could NOT verify IF the actual fuel cell continued directly under the fiberglassed flooring area where the pedestal seats had been affixed.

I VERY carefully drilled out the previous 1" screw holes to engage some 5/16" lag SCREWS...and they immediately stripped out the fiberglass hole. SO??? I drilled a bit deeper...CAREFULLY!! (My lag bolts are 1 1/2" long and the pedestal base is 1/4" thick. I quickly eyeballed the guesstimated distance between the boat's hull bottom (DID NOT WANT TO DRILL THROUGH THAT!!), and felt assured that I might CAREFULLY bore into the fiberglass deck to a depth of no more that 1 1/4". I taped off my drill bit to slightly less to ensure I was not going to overdrive the depth I wanted and CAREFULLY commenced my work.

All went well until I hit aluminum. ALUMINUM!! I was NOT expecting THAT! It was approximately 1 1/8" from the surface of the pedestal mount floor surface. I CAREFULLY drilled through the aluminum until I felt the drill bit just break through and NO DEEPER!

Inserted one of my new lag screws through the pedestal mount and CAREFULLY screwed it down into the aluminum and it tightened right down. ROCK SOLID! So I did the same with all the other remaining five lag screws. The pedestal mount is as tight as an eagle's claw clutching a freshly caught fish.

My concern is mainly this: I have NO IDEA who or why I encountered "something" aluminum that far down and most importantly, my dealer had NO IDEA why or what reason there would be aluminum OR even WHY a bass boat manufacturer would incorporate PEDESTAL STYLE boat seats in a BASS BOAT!!

UHM! A MYSTERY!

Did my "DUM-DEE-DUM, DUM" turn into a REAL "DUMB-DEE-DUMB, DUMB" and did I just screw up my otherwise BEAUTIFUL WONDERFUL SPARKLING PRETTY & FAST bassin' boat?

1.) Boat's gas tank is 7/8ths FULL
    2.) Bilge is clean and DRY
    3.) NO HOLES in the bottom of the boat's hull (THANK GAWD!)
    4.) Boat has ALWAYS had a slight whisper of gas smell just under the center seat section. (Rod lockers have NEVER had the smell of fuel in them and remain so, now).
    5.) DID NOT use a cigarette lighter as a light source for any of the above mentioned inspection procedures! (That's REALLY important I've been told!)
    6.) Pedestal base measures 9" diameter @ 1/4" thick (previously mentioned)

Scared too death I might have potentially made a big "UH-OH, DAMMIT!"

I've looked and I've searched EVERY WHERE trying to CONFIRM this great unknown featurism of this Triton boat model. NO LUCK, SO FAR.

(If y'all would talk this over amongst yourselves and give me a "GO' or a "NO-GO", I'd be especially appreciative).

I've got pictures of the whole affair IF so needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wyldbill; 01-04-2024 at 11:58 AM. Reason: omission

2. Member
    I'm interested in the pictures

3. Member
    I am too….especially interested to see what the op is describing as a ‘helm pedestal’ and where he ‘drilled through aluminum’. The only aluminum I know of in the helm floor of an x2 are the aluminum tie down brackets for the fuel tank.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

4. Member
    Updated with a few pictures. More to come later, today with the seats removed but pedestal bases will remain in place. Normally in bass boots, there is a seat block that goes completely across the width of the boat; but for this model of Triton, it was designed with manufactured "cut-outs" in that seat base to allow for the installation of seat pedestals. (View Driver & Passenger Seat pics). The fuel tank itself is readily viewed directly through the center seat hatch and has been molded around the aforementioned "cut-outs". (I will provide pictures of this later today).

A bit of a "mystery" is this: With the seat pedestal bases measuring 9" across and six screw holes in the base, there apparently seems to be a pretty wide piece of aluminum that was installed in the manufacturing process to allow me to drill into this aluminum without question for each lag screw. (1/2" head with 5/16" shank per each). A normal metal fuel tank strap is NOT 9+ inches wide and usually constructed of galvanized steel (such as what IS in place and can be seen through the center seat hatch (photo coming).

(Attending an elderly parent with medical needs at the moment).

I am a former E-5 US NAVY jet engine mechanic, troubleshooter, and aircraft inspector. (HONORABLY DISCHARGED and DAV)
    Last edited by Wyldbill; 01-04-2024 at 12:04 PM. Reason: omission

5. Member
    Op-I have never seen those seats…..and even looked in the catalog. Apologies!!
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

6. Member
    Here is a rough drawing with more pictures. Visual and tactile inspection leads me to believe that the seat past pedestal mounting area will not "puncture" the fuel tank. Drawing is my best guess and determination of Triton 21X2 model of fuel tank layout under the center deck area.

But why is there an aluminum piece of metal under both seat pedestal mounts at a depth of 1 1/8-1/4 inches?

The original mount screws were exactly 1 inch long and only 3/4" embedded in the fiberglass deck
    It is my determination at this point, that I did not structurally compromise my boats fuel tank or structural integrity.

If nothing more, we have documented this Triton boat models center deck and helm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Wyldbill; 01-04-2024 at 09:41 PM. Reason: misspelligng

7. Member
    I've never seen seats like those before...

It's hard to tell by the pictures, but if you can access the under side, I'd through bolt the seat mounts and use fender washers on the bottom side.

8. Member
    I've never seen seats mounted like this either!
    2005 Triton TR-186
    2024 Mercury Pro XS 150

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XXXLTRP View Post
    I've never seen seats like those before...

It's hard to tell by the pictures, but if you can access the under side, I'd through bolt the seat mounts and use fender washers on the bottom side.
    Thank YouXXXLTRP for your reply. There is no access under the flooring where these mounts are screwed into. My best guess as to the actual distance between the boat's helm flooring and the actual hull is no more than 2.5- 3 inches. I would most definitely agree with you in your directive of using fender washers, bolts, and nuts but there is no possible way that is going to at all work on this model of Triton. I know, pretty crazy, huh? This is why I thought to "ask" and "see" IF anyone else has had this situation and the best course of action that might be taken to remedy. If not? Then hopefully down the road "someone else" may find benefit in our findings.

In this knowledge, it is also a forgone conclusion that "IF" for some reason, the fuel/ gas tank in this particular model of Triton (21X2) needed replacement or some corrective action be made to the tank itself, would be at best a highly daunting task if not impossible shy of actually cutting the deck completely out.
    Last edited by Wyldbill; 01-06-2024 at 12:35 AM.

10. Member
    UPDATE: After two full days on the water on separate trips, I have concluded that my pedestal style driver and passenger seat fix "DID THE JOB!" BIL field dresses out at around 300# and myself at a lighter ballast weight of 240#, the seats performed FLAWLESSLY at speed, in rough chop, and while seated and eating sandwiches! I do most EARNESTLY appreciate all the feed back and suggestions thus offered in my OP. MANY MANY Thanks, y'all. Gas tank was never in any danger of being punctured which was initially my greatest worry. The HEX screws additional length have performed wonderfully and have thus duly ANCHORED the seats properly. NO MORE SEAT WOBBLE!

11. Member
    I have a 07 and am approaching the same problem as you. A few years ago, some came loose and were stripped. I used thread tape and luckily (knock on wood) they held really well. I was kicking the idea of getting new seats or reupholstered. I just don't know if I want to open that project, nothing ever goes easy once you start.

This is a great post to look at. Thank You for sharing!

12. Member
    How high does the seats sit off the floor like this?
    2001 Xpress X19
    2006 Johnson 90 HP Model J90GLSDE

13. Member
    My seats on my 2007 have 1/4” machine screws. I wonder if the aluminum plate you found was actually the threaded base plate for the seat mount designed to sandwich the glass floor.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    My seats on my 2007 have 1/4” machine screws. I wonder if the aluminum plate you found was actually the threaded base plate for the seat mount designed to sandwich the glass floor.
    That would be my guess. I've been out almost every weekend on the lake with this boat and the seat bases are holding up nicely! No complaints.

15. Member
    [QUOTE=wild wolf products;13514444]How high does the seats sit off the floor like this?[/QUOTE

The pedestal base is 6" in height. The actual seat itself (taking into account the foam padding of the seat) is roughly 12" above the console deck flooring.

16. Member
    [QUOTE=Wyldbill;13515260]
    Quote Originally Posted by wild wolf products View Post
    How high does the seats sit off the floor like this?[/QUOTE

The pedestal base is 6" in height. The actual seat itself (taking into account the foam padding of the seat) is roughly 12" above the console deck flooring.
    Thanks for the info on the base.
    2001 Xpress X19
    2006 Johnson 90 HP Model J90GLSDE