Switch for Charging leads

So, after switching to dual 36v TM batteries, I often find I come home with 90% or more juice on them, while I've knocked down my lithium electronics and AGM starter quite a bit.

I've thought about just pulling the fuse on the 36v lead of my charger to basically not bother with charging the 36v at times like this, but then thought why not just add a switch/breaker between the charger and batteries. I acutally have a spare TM switchable breaker I could use, it's a 60amp though - the inline fuses are 30amp, but since I would be using as a essentially a disconnect only I could use the 60 breaker, as the 30amp fuse will still be inline.

Or maybe it's not worth the trouble - do we know if there are any long term issue with short charing durations - I don't know how/if it affects charging cycle life, if at all?

2. Member
    Each battery has a cycle rating. Try not charging it after an outing and see what happens. Of you're left with 90% after one use, go 2 uses and see
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

Quote Originally Posted by RickCamilleri View Post
    Each battery has a cycle rating. Try not charging it after an outing and see what happens. Of you're left with 90% after one use, go 2 uses and see
    Yeah, that's what I'm trying to accomplish on the 36v's, but the 2 12'vs still need to be charged. So I'm thinking of just putting 30amp Blue Sea 285 switchable breaker inline the pos lead from charger to 36v battery (instead of pulling the fuse, which is way more trouble to get to lol).

When I changed chargers for 36v I considered just getting a single bank stand alone charger just for the 36's - kinda wish I had now, instead of this combo/all n one.
    Would have been much simpler. Although I would have had to deal with two chargers / two charger plugs etc.

You charger has a set of leads that charges 36v and one that chargers 12v both off the same charger ??
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    You charger has a set of leads that charges 36v and one that chargers 12v both off the same charger ??
    Yeah it's a PowerHouse Lithium Charger - 1 36v bank, 1 12v bank and 1 12/16v bank. I've decided not to worry about fussing with adding a switch, though.

https://powerhouselithium.com/collec...attery-charger

6. Member
    you could... you know. Simply turn that circuit off at the battery charger. I see it has a 'power' switch. My NOCO has a similar interface and I can turn off any/all circuits. Check your manual. Might not be able to turn circuits on/off but it sure looks like you can.

7. Member
    I added a set of quick connect/disconnect plugs to my charger leads just for that reason. It works out great. I got them off Amazon for cheap as well.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

How bout unhooking one of the 36v since it seems its not needed anyway. If you ever do need it, its there

Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    you could... you know. Simply turn that circuit off at the battery charger. I see it has a 'power' switch. My NOCO has a similar interface and I can turn off any/all circuits. Check your manual. Might not be able to turn circuits on/off but it sure looks like you can.
    You know, I thought the same, but it's apparently a power indicator light, not a on/off button.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    How bout unhooking one of the 36v since it seems its not needed anyway. If you ever do need it, its there
    Considering, or at least putting a perko switch on them so I can run/charge one and have 2nd one isolated, if I need it just flip the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno 615 View Post
    I added a set of quick connect/disconnect plugs to my charger leads just for that reason. It works out great. I got them off Amazon for cheap as well.
    Also considering, I was looking at the Connect-Ease, but the "battery side" cables are pretty short, so really wouldn't help in my case. But I see bunch of battery quick disconnect cables on Amazon so will look some over.

Today is not a great example, I was only on the water about 5 hours. TM batteries only down to 94% SOC. Electronics battery was 60-something percent. AGM starter not sure but no issues with it of course.

I talked to Bob at PL, he said he wouldn't bother with it, just let them charge and the charger will shut off, but if I really wanted to the simplist thing woud be to pull the fuse. There's fuses on both pos and neg leads - the pos inline fuse is not easily accessible, but the neg inline fuse is - i guess it wouldn't matter which fuse I pulled if I wanted to test it out. Still, a quick disconnect or Perko solution would be cleaner and simpler i suspect.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 05-04-2024 at 02:09 PM.

Pulled the fuse on latest charging, was at 92% after about 6 hours on the water. Have abandoned the Perko switching idea, but may still consider a quick disconnect of some sort instead of having to pull the fuses each time.

No need to do anything as the charger will take care of the battery correctly as needed. don't overthink this!
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Member
    you could put some Anderson Connectors on your charger leads and just connect the batteries you need to charge. I have had them on my charger for a couple of years and have had no issues. I do not keep my charger onboard so I have to connect / disconnect after every outing.

https://powerwerx.com/
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

14. Member
    that powerwerx.com website has a great selection of components - thanks for sharing that link. Im setting up a boat where I will be transporting batteries to the boat and need connect/disconnect for every trip and that info will be helpful.

15. Member
    How's Leon stated I think you're overthinking this all together. Just plug your charger in after a trip and let it go you should have anything to worry about. As was stated most charges are set up so that they will take care of the battery themselves.