Question for all you AR guys

Got a question for you guys.
    My daughter is 11 and she has been on me about going deer hunting with me. I want to take her but most all of my rifles are going to be way to long in length of pull and eye relief for her.
    My thought was to build her an AR since you can adjust the butt stock down quite a bit and it would help her a lot I think.
    My thing is I am not sure what caliber to go with.
    The 3 I am looking at are 300 Blk Out, 6.5 Grendel & 6.8 SPC.

She is a pretty small frame kid and dont want to have her shoot anything that has a lot of recoil.
    I had a 300 Blk gun not too long ago and I could not get that thing to shoot worth anything. No matter what round I shot out of it weather it was Sub Sonics or Ultra Sonic. It would not shoot well at all.
    My understanding is the 300 Blk (If i remember right) was it was more designed to shoot Sub Sonic rounds.

With her being new and not an "Experienced" shooter I dont think shes going to shoot anything over 100 yards.

So what would some of your opinions be on caliber?

2. Member
    All will kill a deer. Out of the ones listed the 6.8 is likely the most ideal choice.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

3. Member
    I have several .300bo's with barrels ranging from 8" to 16" and they shoot 110gn supers just fine. A 110gn Barnes is pretty comparable to a .30-30 as far as muzzle energy goes and will be the softest shooting of the three. Of the 3 you mentioned the 6.8spc probably has the most recoil with the 6.5 not far behind.

4. Member
    Love my 6.5, but it does kick a bit more than a 223.

My preference in order would be 300blk, 6arc, 223/556, 6.8, 6.5

6.8 and 6.5 seem to be on the decline. And 6arc does all that they do while being better supported in my opinion

AR is great for kiddos, with ability to adjust stock and low recoil. My boy shot his first deer, when he was 6 with one in 300 bo with 130 gr. barnes. I'm not familiar with 6.8, but the 6.5grendel or 6arc would be great as well.

Don’t overlook the 350 Legend. Easy build and uses same bolt as 223.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
    Don’t overlook the 350 Legend. Easy build and uses same bolt as 223.
    That is actually what I am probably going to build for her.
    Been doing a lot or reading and it fits the bill pretty much spot on.

9. Member
    I have this on the back of my .50 Beowulf. Takes that thump REALLY really well. I cant imagine a child could not handle up to a 6.5 CM with it.

Then again I'm not a kid so my judgement is limited.

https://adaptivetactical.com/product...15-m4-carbines

10. Member
    Until the recent ammo situation the 7.62x39 would have been a great choice as well if you understand the idiosyncrasies with the mags, firing pins and such.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

I think I have narrowed it down to the 300 Blk.
    With some of the info I have read on the 350 Legend I dont think I am going to go that route with a gun for my 11 YO daughter.
    Nothing against it by any means but cost is playing a factor and for the Cheaper uppers that I have found like BCA I have heard some things that are not so great.
    Now that is not to say in the future i might throw a 350L upper together that I build with my pick of barrel etc.
    But for a Kit style setup its pretty hard to beat the 300 BLK.
    From my looking around I can put a kit together with a pretty nice Rise Armament Trigger as well for less than $600. Which is right in the ballpark of where I want to be cost wise.
    That is buying the Stripped lower locally for $75 the complete upper for about $340 and the lower kit for about $80 and the trigger for about $90.

You'll like the 300 BO. Very effective on deer. Fun with subs and suppressor