Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Texas rig tube/ beaver hook

Looking for recommendations on a tube hook for flipping. I have tried trokar flippin tube hooks and ewg hooks. The trokar look like they should be great but i cant get the point to come through. I skin hook both baits and after the hookset if i stick them at all it comes back looking like i never set the hook at all. Thinking its too big of a hook and going to a finer wire to penetrate the plastic easier? Started boiling some making them softer seemed to help a little. Running a 7'3 mh fast 30lb braid to 20lb flouro. My beaver baits went from 10% hookups to almost 100 since i switched to the snell knot on a straight shank flipping hook but they don't fall great and spin on the way down. Do I need to switch to a straight shank snell knot for my tube hook too? So frustrated almost won't throw one anymore lost 8 big fish in a row 0% hookup ratio today but that's all they'd bite.

2. Member
    When I first started fishing tubes I had a hook up problem too. I solved it with the owner wide gap plus hooks. They are excellent for Texas rigged tubes. I use the 4/0.

3. Scraps
    That Owner or maybe better the Haymaker. The thing about a flipping tube, they’ll crush down on it so hard that you can’t move the bait in their mouth. I’ve pulled them out of the water without breaking the hook free of the plastic and then they spit the bait.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

4. Member
    That Haymaker looks interesting is there that much of a gap between the point and the eye like an offset worm hook or am I seeing things in the pictures...I hate hooks that line up with the eye.

5. Member
    That Haymaker looks interesting is there that much of a gap between the point and the eye like an offset worm hook or am I seeing things in the pictures...I hate hooks that line up with the eye.

6. Scraps
    It's got a little bit of a bite gap and the hook point is "up" to stick a little better. I used to use something like the Owner J hook which was probably about the worst hook to use, but I can't remember having hook up issues - or maybe I didn't realize that I did have an issue.

You could try a lighter wire like the Gammy hybrid. That hooks sticks really well.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

7. Member
    I thought the trokar tub hook was the best I've ever used. I liked it so much I'd start rigging it on all of my soft plastics. I do run straight braid on most of my flipping setups though, so definitely getting a better hookset. Surprised you didn't have good luck with it.

8. Member
    I've been using an Owner Riggin hook for years now on tubes, beavers etc. Mostly use the 5/0 but 4/0 as well. Best way to describe it is a wide gap round bend.

9. Member
    The riggin hook looks just like the haymaker maybe I'll give them a try...I really wanted to like the trokar but their going in the trash. I just think the gambler tough tube plastic with that big hook wouldn't come through...the other thought is my rod was too stiff and blowing it through their mouth with the weight.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dharr View Post
    The riggin hook looks just like the haymaker maybe I'll give them a try...I really wanted to like the trokar but their going in the trash. I just think the gambler tough tube plastic with that big hook wouldn't come through...the other thought is my rod was too stiff and blowing it through their mouth with the weight.
    The rod being too stiff is a possibility.

11. Member
    Riggin hook and Haymaker are actually pretty different. I'm a big Owner fan and have tried the Haymaker. It's a good hook, actually like it a lot on a wobble head but for flipping prefer the Riggin.

12. Member
    I messed around to find a soft enough tube and use a snelled straight shank but only for those tubes. The rest I use Superpine Gammy and skin hook it with minimal issues. Rod wise it's a 72 Falcon Heavy they dont make anymore with 17lb. I love braid but never made change on my tube setup.

13. Member
    I'll add I'm not really pitching these into heavy cover don't really have that here just using a 3/8 ounce weight and pitching to pad edges catail edges and cabbage millfoil holes. never really Matt's up and not enough water to punch. I used everything with my beaver setup I could try and had issues with it balling up with some hooks and not getting through with others. The straight shank I think has solved it but it spins wierd on the way down. The tube is my nemesis I get bites when others don't they've been forgotten here. Wierd thing is if I put it on a Tokyo rig and crawl it I don't have issues with a wide gap, on the beaver either. Only when they eat it on the first fall. If I can hop it once usually hooks up every time. Just ordered haymakers gonna start there I guess.

I made these specifically for tubes last winter with 3/0 & 4/0 Mustad ewg jig hooks. I added the center pin spring locks and wrapped the shanks with lead wire. I coated the wire with red nail polish and then sealed them with epoxy. While I haven't fished them a ton as of now, the results have far exceeded my expectations as far as performance and especially hookups.
    IMG_3867.jpegIMG_3868.jpeg
    Ranting incoherently

15. Member
    G-Finesse Hybrid Worm, this is a phenomenal hook!

You can send them to me. I flip a tube a LOT, and it is all I use.
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

I absolutely love the mustad tactical bass assault heavy wide gap hooks. The "squared" off bend helps the tube collapse near the hook point better than any other EWG hook I have used. I have tried the owner haymaker and wide gap plus, the gamakatsu superline EWG, and trokar tube hooks without too much improvment. The new mustad is the real deal for tubes.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Must...CABEgJysfD_BwE

Most tube plastic is tougher than other soft plastics so it is going to be a little harder to collapse and have a good hook up. Sometimes pinching the bait to release some salt helps soften it to help the tube collapse easier.

18. Member
    I actually just got those delivered today as well as the rigging hook and the owner tube hook. I did go back to a light wire 4/0 vmc redline and rigged up a beaver bait and hooked a dozen smallmouth from 3 to 5.5 lbs off of beds and had 100% hookups. I did have to bend the hook back a couple of times but a huge improvement over the thicker flipping style hooks. They were picking it up over hitting it on the fall though where I have my problems.

19. Member
    I've been using the Eagle Claw tube hooks for years with good success. Have to say that those Mustad tactical assault hooks look interesting though. Might have to try those.

20. Member
    I had a chance to use the owner phantom tube hooks, there's no need to buy anything else. The action they give the tube is like nothing else on the market. The only downside is you need alot of them because like the reviews the weights break off, and you have to re tie if the the tube rips because of how you have to rig it so I rig a few up in advance, but after that hassle they are worth every penny. Gonna be my secret weapon when the bites tough. I wouldn't use them for punching or really thick grass because it won't sink straight but for sparse cover or docks these are the way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast