Guardian mode. Continuous beep

<EDIT- Provided Serial# OT944922>

Hi all- Long story short, I took my triton tr20 out last wknd. Tan it for about 20 min, then started getting intermittent beeps. After about an hour it was a continuous beep. Obviously serious guardian mode. The impeller was changed last year, it is pissing water. So, I’m thinking an overheating issue or air compressor issue? What is the best way to diagnose this? Thanks!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-07-2024 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Serial #

2. Member
    What engine. If you have an air compressor, have you checked the strainer for the compressor? It's on the port side behind the lower cowling.

Constant alarm can be a few things; low oil, low voltage. You can try to Google mercury beep patterns for your engine to narrow it down
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

3. Member
    225 optimax. 2004. About 350hrs. And no, i have not checked the strainer for the compressor. Voltage was good. Replaced oil reservoir last year. I will check oil level asap

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving your post to the 3L Forum- please update your first post to include the required info (Serial Number) for further assistance.

Water Pump is an ANNUAL maintenance item on this engine.

You do need to get the engine on a suitable diagnostic system for PRINTOUTS of the complete engine history.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Will do . Thanks

6. Member
    Hey guys- so quick update on my 2004 triton tr20 w/a 2004 225L optimax.( serial #OT944922).
    Last week I took it out and after about 20 min of running , I started getting a few intermittent beeps, which turned into a consistent beep. As soon as I turned it on , constant beep. Long story short, I idled back to the dock and started this thread.
    fast forward to this week, I got the muffs on her and guess what?? No beeps! Go figure. Anyway, took it out for a spin today to get an actual load run on the lake. Ran great for about 30 min , then I trimming up while getting to about 5k rpm’s , and there was a beep. As soon as I got off the trim, beeps stopped. So I ran it hard w/o trimming it and no beeps. Then I tried just feathering it up w/little taps up on the trim and no beeps. Even when going about 60mg.
    so, When I stayed on the trim, I got a constant beeps up or down. When I feathered it up or down no beeps. Could this be a voltage issue? Seems the beeps only happen when I hold the trim up or down . Again, when I feather it, nothing . Any ideas? Could this be an impeller going bad? Thanks for the help!!
    Last edited by Sakman33; 06-06-2024 at 09:05 PM.

7. Member
    What is the water pressure at Idle and at WOT?
    What is the voltage at the battery when the problem occurs?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakman33 View Post
    Any ideas? Could this be an impeller going bad? Thanks for the help!!
    When was the water pump last serviced? As Don posted earlier it's an annual maintenance item unless you reach the hour limit first (100hrs).

When you say consistent or constant beep do you mean a solid tone? Optimax alarm strategy is series of 4 beeps, pause, repeat for non-critical alarm conditions or solid tone for critical alarm conditions.

+1 to Savage's questions!
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Suggest answering the questions about your MAINTENANCE.

Also: Load test your BATTERY, verify the ENGINE CABLES are installed FIRST (critically important), then stack remaining lugs "largest to smallest" and finish off the connection with a stainless nut (or locknut). NEVER use wing-nuts.

Your trim/warnings may be voltage faults which can easily be triggered by improperly stacked terminals.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    The boat is only maintenanced when I have an issue w/something. Other than that; just your basic winterazation and lower unit lube change. Had the impellar replaces two years ago, but never the entire kit.

Checked the stack yesterday to make sure everything looked good. Went out today and motor ran good until again, I hit about 5k rpm’s and trimmed up, then I got a steady beep until I let off it. The voltage stayed consistent at about 10-10.5. And like I said in the previous thread ; when I feather the trip up or down at 5k plus rpm’s , no beeps. The the steady beep only occurs at high rpm’s and I’m staying on the trim. I don’t think it’s an oil issue. Air compressor issue, or over heating issue, or even a battery issue. I could be wrong though. Could it be the trim wire or sensor? I’m running out of ideas?? Thanks !!

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Also: Load test your BATTERY, verify the ENGINE CABLES are installed FIRST (critically important), then stack remaining lugs "largest to smallest" and finish off the connection with a stainless nut (or locknut). NEVER use wing-nuts.

Your trim/warnings may be voltage faults which can easily be triggered by improperly stacked terminals
    ^^^^^ See above.

Strongly recommend catching up on the Recommended ANNUAL Maintenance (See FAQ Section, there's a considerable list to be done every 364.99 days).

12. Member
    The boat is only maintenanced when I have an issue w/something. Other than that; just your basic winterazation and lower unit lube change. Had the impellar replaces two years ago, but never the entire kit.

Checked the stack yesterday to make sure everything looked good. Went out today and motor ran good until again, I hit about 5k rpm’s and trimmed up, then I got a steady beep until I let off it. The voltage stayed consistent at about 10-10.5. And like I said in the previous thread ; when I feather the trip up or down at 5k plus rpm’s , no beeps. The the steady beep only occurs at high rpm’s and I’m staying on the trim. I don’t think it’s an oil issue. Air compressor issue, or over heating issue, or even a battery issue. I could be wrong though. Could it be the trim wire or sensor? I’m running out of ideas?? Thanks !!
    10-10.5 volts ain't going to cut it.......Need around 13.5 volts at 5000 RPM.

13. Member
    Yeah, im beginning to think it’s a voltage issue. Going to get the battery load tested tomorrow. It’s a blue top about 3 yrs old. Might pull the trigger an an odyssey extreme 31AMG. Thoughts?

14. Member
    And thanks for the feedback everyone!!!

Yeah, im beginning to think it’s a voltage issue. Going to get the battery load tested tomorrow. It’s a blue top about 3 yrs old. Might pull the trigger an an odyssey extreme 31AMG. Thoughts?
    That’s a strong heavy battery. That should do the job nicely.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

16. Member
    engine faults read with computer will determine exactly the problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    engine faults read with computer will determine exactly the problem
    +1!

You should have 13.8 - 14+vdc at idle and throughout the entire rpm range. Remove both battery cables, fully charge battery and have it load tested. If you have a charging system problem, with only 10vdc at idle there's a strong possibility you do, a new battery won't fix that
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Optima grp 31 battery only has 155 min reserve, way too low for most bass boats today, highly recomend 950 CCA and at least 190 min reserve.
    However sounds like a charging system problem, as mentioned above, should be above 13.5 volts running
    Thank You Leon Pugh