Shift Shaft Misaligned on 3L Torquemaster Gearcase

Ok...here's a weird one. I purchased a rebuilt Torquemaster and the shift shaft is mis-aligned (indexing of the shaft is off about 22.5 degrees). The shift shaft is indexed so that when the lower unit is in neutral, it will only line up when the shift linkage is either in the forward or reverse position. I looked the shaft indexing of this gearcase against 4 other gearcases and its wrong. Where the peaks are on the splines of all the others are where the valleys are on this one. It shifts like it should but the splines of the shift shaft are mis-aligned. Anybody seen this before and know the solution (I am assuming it will need to be taken apart again)? I have been putting lower units on for many many years and have never seen this issue. So...please only someone who rebuilds Mercury 3L gearcases need to respond.
    Last edited by basspro57; 05-20-2024 at 11:12 AM.

2. Member
    When you turn to the shiftshaft right clock wise is it in forward?
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    When you turn to the shiftshaft right clock wise is it in forward?
    I believe so. When I turn the shift shaft clockwise from neutral, it will go into gear. Counterclockwise from neutral, goes into gear. I will have to check again tonight if clockwise is forward and counterclockwise is reverse but I am 99.9% sure that is how its working (which is normal). Would the opposite cause the shift shaft to be indexed incorrectly?
    Last edited by basspro57; 05-20-2024 at 12:53 PM.

4. Member
    shift into fwd rotate driveshaft clockwise p/s should rotate clockwise possible shift crank installed backwards
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thanks Joe!!! I'll update after I check tonight.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    shift into fwd rotate driveshaft clockwise p/s should rotate clockwise possible shift crank installed backwards
    Hi Joe...After testing tonight, the shift crank is installed backwards. When the shift shaft was in the forward position, the prop shaft spun in reverse (CCW). When the shift shaft was in the reverse position, the prop shaft spun in forward (CW). Everything is backwards. I'll have to remember that if I ever get another gearcase and have this problem, the gearcase was re-assembled incorrectly. Although its unfortunate that it has to be pulled apart, but fortunately should be an easy fix (and I'll get it done by an expert...don't know who worked on it before but they didn't do so well). Thanks everybody for helping me think about this one.

7. Member
    no sir they did not
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    ^^^^^ This.

Can't be the shaft as it can be installed in the bellcrank at ANY cog position on these gearcases.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor