Motor Cutting Out

So, I have a very sporadic issue with my 23 Pro XS 250. When I'm on plane running at various speeds, when I trim up or down the motor chokes down (but will not die and goes back to normal after I left off the trim). As far as when this happens, I never know. I was thinking it was a battery issue, but it did it yesterday with a full charge. Any thoughts before I take it in for troubleshooting.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juliodux View Post
    So, I have a very sporadic issue with my 23 Pro XS 250. When I'm on plane running at various speeds, when I trim up or down the motor chokes down (but will not die and goes back to normal after I left off the trim). As far as when this happens, I never know. I was thinking it was a battery issue, but it did it yesterday with a full charge. Any thoughts before I take it in for troubleshooting.
    If you mean it feels like the motor lost perhaps 1 mph momentarily while you had the trim button engaged, my 300R has done that since day 1. It does not do it every time I use the trim button, but sometimes. I have had several batteries in it, and it has done it with smaller 800 CCA batteries as well as the current XS 1150 CCA battery. I did mention it to Don once and I had the impression he did not think it was a matter of concern it I recall correctly.
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

3. Member
    Its maybe 5-10 mph. I'm running 1500 CCA 170AH Dual Purpose Cranking Lithium Beast as my cranking battery.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juliodux View Post
    Its maybe 5-10 mph. I'm running 1500 CCA 170AH Dual Purpose Cranking Lithium Beast as my cranking battery.
    Hopefully Don will chime in. 5 - 10 mph loss while trimming would have me concerned!
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (Serial Number) when posting.

Check your battery terminal STACKING order. Engine cable must be the FIRST/CLOSEST cable to the battery... then remaining ones largest to smallest.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor