any tips for fishing big spirit lake?

my fiance and I going up to okoboji Wednesday to Friday camping! I'm planning on targeting smallmouth bass on spirit lake. Wednesday the wind suppose to blow 20-30mph out of wnw. will stay on north end of Lake. might try okoboji too but want to start on spirit. any tips would be awesome! oh and a week later I'm going to mille lacs for a week! thanks

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Spirit can be brutal in the wind. You’d be better hitting bojio including the three smaller lakes
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    Spirit can be brutal in the wind. You’d be better hitting bojio including the three smaller lakes

thanks. but that is why I would use one of the north ramps and just stay on north side. that is what we do at mille lacs if the wind is blowing hard. still allows us to get out on the water. I have fished okoboji before but it's been several years ago

4. Member
    anyone else care to share any tips for okoboji and spirit lake? sounds like they took the 30 mph winds out of the forecast for Wednesday! hoping my fiance catches a smallmouth bass since she's never caught one

5. Member
    havnt really heard much about spirit but the last few years the tournaments on okaboji have been taking 20 plus pounds to win and i have caught some nice smallies on boji.
    2010 FX Skeeter

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxphil View Post
    havnt really heard much about spirit but the last few years the tournaments on okaboji have been taking 20 plus pounds to win and i have caught some nice smallies on boji.
    thanks. any particular any area of the lake on okoboji? years ago I fished a tournament on boji and did well on north end.

Quote Originally Posted by bassin74 View Post
    thanks. any particular any area of the lake on okoboji? years ago I fished a tournament on boji and did well on north end.
    Always had pretty good luck catching smallies anywhere on west, fishing a drop shot on deep structure and deep rockpiles. Mostly 15 to 30ft deep. Could be shallower if they are still in some sort of spawning pattern but they stay aggressive even during spawning

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS