Fishing Norfork Lake

Hello all. I've fished Norfork Lake several years now off and on and I'm an inch away from giving up and fishing another lake. I grew up vacationing there so I have many memories there. It's a beautiful lake and that's why I've always been drawn to it but seems like I've been stuck in the same rut for a long time when it comes to fishing it. I use light line and natural color baits since it's usually a very clear lake but even when I know I'm in a good area where there's fish, I just can't hardly catch anything...and if I do, seems like it's 1000 more casts til I catch another. Is this normal or am I missing something???
    Last edited by wjhuskey; 05-20-2024 at 12:43 AM.

2. Member
    Tough lake minus a few months during pre-spawn/spawn. Crazy that Bull can be so good and Norfolk can be so bad.

3. Member
    I agree. Bull seems to be more famous for fishing. I hear it both ways though. Some people say Norfork is their favorite of the two and will drive right past Bull to get to Norfork. Me however, I've fished both lakes with about the same success rate.

4. Member
    Bull is awesome.... Norfolk sucks.

I fish Beaver quite a bit and it is another lake known for "sucking". The smallmouth fishing has been pretty good however in the clear end of the lake. Ned rigs, small Keitech swimbaits, and jigs all work for the smallies. Don't bang the bank, target water that is 10-30 feet deep. Look for top water activity too, the stripers on Beaver are hitting top water right now, and I believe there are stripers in Norfolk. You have to get out early to get that topwater bite.

DSC_0052.JPG

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    I fish Beaver quite a bit and it is another lake known for "sucking". The smallmouth fishing has been pretty good however in the clear end of the lake. Ned rigs, small Keitech swimbaits, and jigs all work for the smallies. Don't bang the bank, target water that is 10-30 feet deep. Look for top water activity too, the stripers on Beaver are hitting top water right now, and I believe there are stripers in Norfolk. You have to get out early to get that topwater bite.

DSC_0052.JPG
    Striper fishing or topwater in general this time of year is about the easiest for me since they're easier to locate...and like you said, early morning is the absolute best. I try not to bang the bank later in the day but just never have much luck fishing deeper. What bait do you like for the 10-30 ft depth range? I try deep diving crankbaits some but never have liked those as my first choice...bottom baits like worms and jigs are ok but cant cover as much water with them. Carolina rigged swim bait???

Quote Originally Posted by wjhuskey View Post
    Striper fishing or topwater in general this time of year is about the easiest for me since they're easier to locate...and like you said, early morning is the absolute best. I try not to bang the bank later in the day but just never have much luck fishing deeper. What bait do you like for the 10-30 ft depth range? I try deep diving crankbaits some but never have liked those as my first choice...bottom baits like worms and jigs are ok but cant cover as much water with them. Carolina rigged swim bait???
    I'd go with a 3.3 Keitech on a 1/4 oz jighead. Let it drop to the bottom, then slowly retrieve it. I did catch some smallies on Beaver a week ago c-rigging a Zoom UV Speed Craw. Fishing it mainly on gravel points.