Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SC Bullet View Post
    So why is the US government planning to fund entire bridge construction when the ship that hit it has insurance?
    if the government rebuild its the costs will be astronomical. Betting the insurance company will just fold up and not pay the full amount.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    it's a bridge,,, it's not some new science........
    You must not deal with engineers much… they never pick a proven design… always trying some new and improved or innovative new design..

3. Member
    From my point of view it seems like the right thing to do. Problem : need a bridge
    solution: build it. Get back to normal ASAP. Makes sense to me. It's a no brainer to be tied up in litigation for some time to come. Just because our president is trying to solve it gives lots of people something to cry about.
    GETFISHED !!!

4. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MCPO View Post
    I agree - but within about 48 hrs. of the accident, Biden was on TV saying the Fed. Gov. will pay for the bridge, without knowing any facts about insurance, etc. That was the beginning of the politicization, not here.
    LOL, I guess he shoulda said "we've been in touch with the insurance company and they said get 3 quotes and we're good to go"
    or maybe you'd like it better if he would have said " we're going to rebuild that bridge quickly and Singapore is gonna pay for it"

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    LOL, I guess he shoulda said "we've been in touch with the insurance company and they said get 3 quotes and we're good to go"
    or maybe you'd like it better if he would have said " we're going to rebuild that bridge quickly and Singapore is gonna pay for it"
    You missed the whole point! If you don't understand then further discussion is useless.
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

6. Member
    I’ll bet that every bridge of that size in any state was built with federal funds, and maintenance too.

7. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    The Feds collect 18.4 cents per GALLON of gas and 24.4 cents for every gallon of diesel sold in America. Let that soak in next time you are sitting in traffic or looking for a parking spot. This does not include the state. county or local taxes collected nor the millions the oil companies pay in, nor the millions trucking company's pay in.

IMO The real question should be why are our roads in such disrepair and why is there not a nest egg sitting somewhere to cover the gap until the insurance can be collected? Our grandchildren grandchildren will be paying for this bridge with interest.

Budget for all these taxes and fees on EVERY GALLON SOLD to be swapped to your electric bill as we are forced to transition to EV's.
    Exactly. Think it was last year or year before Alabama had a gas tax increase crammed down our throats for road repair . I have yet to see any better roads.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

8. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    You missed the whole point! If you don't understand then further discussion is useless.
    nope,,, i understand completely... there is nothing the man could have said that wouldn't piss you off. Even if he had said nothing that would have pissed you off too..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

I read / heard it on the news that the boating insurance maxes out at $3M per pay out. So there's several million missing to cover the costs. Not sure it's right, but that's what is being reported.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GOTTA BIG SACK View Post
    Exactly. Think it was last year or year before Alabama had a gas tax increase crammed down our throats for road repair . I have yet to see any better roads.
    The state of WV did the same thing a few years ago. Along with double car license. Roads are worse now than before.

Because Brandon needs votes.
    So when Presidents authorize Federal funds through FEMA for hurricane assistance in Florida is that for votes? George Bush paid for the I-35 bridge in Minneapolis, pandering for votes?

Man you have a jaded view on things.

I can tell you this, traffic sucks so much more now going through the tunnels. Even worse, going around the other side of the beltway. Hazmat trucks cannot go through the tunnels and the construction going on around the beltway just makes this thing suck, all day. For me, they can't build the bridge fast enough. I know, the economy is priority, but traffic wise, BUILD THAT FING BRIDGE!!!
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    The Dali was floated this morning and is being towed back to port. Numerous lawsuits are in preparation for negligence on the ship’s owners part for allowing the ship to leave the dock despite several electrical issues. The main channel could be open by week’s end.

14. Member
    Wonder what's in all the containers? I haven't missed any amazon orders.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    Truly is there anything life that some won't find political? I swear it's as if they wake up in the morning, and their day isn't complete without it.
    They get on BBC to vent after their wives tell them to STFU.

16. Member
    So why is the US government planning to fund entire bridge construction when the ship that hit it has insurance?

Because it fits the narrative as a "shovel ready job"?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    From my point of view it seems like the right thing to do. Problem : need a bridge
    solution: build it. Get back to normal ASAP. Makes sense to me. It's a no brainer to be tied up in litigation for some time to come. Just because our president is trying to solve it gives lots of people something to cry about.
    I dislike Biden with every bone in my body, but I agree with you. It’s gotta get fixed and quick. This is one thing I don’t mind the government spending money on. Quite sending it overseas and use that money for this.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    We haven’t missed a delivery either, but since it was leaving the port some poor folks in other countries are waiting for their goods. And the crew has been on the ship the entire time. That can’t be fun.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    I order stuff from Amazon today and it's on my doorstep tomorrow, don't think it's coming by ship. Well not directly!
    If professionals who's careers depend on catching fish use FFS then that's what I'm using. Might be too simple of a philosophy but makes sense to me.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Not my problem with it at all. Why should American taxpayers pay for a bridge that was destroyed by a ship? That shipping co should have insurance. I say build the bridge back as fast as possible with tax money. Then sue or whatever to collect fro the shipping company.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast