Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercury optimax running hot?

Hi I have a 2007 Mercury optimax 150, SN 1B459138. Under light acceleration 1200-1500rpm I notice the temp will sometimes creep up to the 160-170degree range at which time I put in neutral and it will drop down to around 140-148degrees. On plane I have no issues, pressure is around 10-12psi and temp around 98-100degrees. Is this normal? I feel that it’s on the high side. Water pump is new, pee stream is strong, and all temp readings are coming from the smart craft gauge. To my knowledge the t stats have never been replace but correct me if I’m wrong those only come into play at idle from what I’ve researched.

2. Member
    off idle plowing will result in higher temps for sure , would replace stats , engine is not designed to for that type of operation too little water flow for the load
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Wrong forums Sir. Your 150HP motor is not a 3.0 liter. Try the boards above this one.

4. Member
    Gosh dang it , that’s what I get for using my phone to post . Thank you. Moderator please delete

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    How about I just move it for you.

The gasket underneath the impeller plate is likely torn or split.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I just removed the lower unit to inspect the water pump. No issues found, all the gaskets are intact. I happen to have another WP kit on hand and threw it in anyways but I don’t think that will fix the problem. Any other ideas? I plan to order some thermostats from Rhonda just for the the heck of it since I don’t believe they have ever been changed. And one quick thing to note as someone mentioned it, I did notice that when light accelerating and not “crashing” into waves the temp is lower, around the 150degree range. It’s only when I’m light accelerating into waves where the temp creeps up. And in case anyone is wondering why I drive like this sometimes is that my particular boat is fairly small and tears up my back when on plane and there’s a decent amount of chop on the water.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please tell me you replaced ALL THREE (3) gaskets in the kit?

If so, I'd recommend you launch and see how it does. I've seen the gasket problem overlooked repeatedly by techs with decades of experience.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Yes sir I followed the water pump write up by solverfoxx that is pinned in the FAQ forum. All 3 gaskets have been replaced. I will take it out in the next week or so to see if there is any difference and report back. Thank you so much!

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In the meantime- see if you can snap a picture of the components you removed. Be interesting to see.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamonrye View Post
    Yes sir I followed the water pump write up by solverfoxx that is pinned in the FAQ forum. All 3 gaskets have been replaced. I will take it out in the next week or so to see if there is any difference and report back. Thank you so much!
    If you followed it to the letter the water pump should be fine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

11. Member
    Had the same problem recently, found seaweed wrapped around the poppet valve spring, restricted the opening at off idle lower rpm but must have opened enough once on the plane at 3000 rpm + to lower temps.
    Last edited by aussiejake; 05-19-2024 at 08:02 PM.

12. Member
    Sorry for the delay, some unfortunate bad luck. My truck was parked outside and totaled by an uninsured drunk driver. Needless to say I have not been able to take the boat out. I was able to find the old gaskets. And this time around I changed the base as well.

13. Member

14. Member

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

16. Member
    I’m finally back with an update. I replaced the water pump and both thermostats. ordered parts through Rhonda so I know they are correct and genuine parts (= I was able to take the boat out and run it around with the same issue. Runs a little warm at slight throttle. Seems like it runs a little warmer if anything but could just be the lake temps being higher. Going to try the poppet valve next. Quick question, when I replaced the water pump the copper water pipe came out with the lower unit which has never happened. I re installed it into the motor and it felt okay (not loose) and then installed the lower unit as usual. Could that upper water pipe seal be the problem? And should I go back in there and replace it?

17. Member
    dout its problem , you know powerhead has to come off to replace that, along with both plates underneath it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

18. Member
    I checked the water strainer and it was clear of debris. My next shot in the dark is the poppet valve. Upon inspection it appears to be in good condition. Am going to replace it anyways. Do you guys recommend replacing the seal that goes into the block at the back of the poppet valve? Visually looks to be in good condition and the rubber still feels soft.

19. Member
    What is your at idle temperature and water pressure?
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

20. Member
    Under load the poppet takes over so id be inclined to think it's that, esp seeing how your compressor strainer was clear of debris
    1995 Champion 190 dcx Elite

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast