I need the opposite…. The simplest FF there is….

I have a helix 12 + ML. I need to fish more silent in some situations.

So I need something to fish the stealth way. I use my map on he Helix. I need something that gives me the depth without the big pinging my helix SI sensor makes. I know that I can put sonar pinging of on my Helix, but I need to know the depth.

What is the most silent sonar, probably the simplest, for sale?

The pinging you hear is the 2D piezo in the Side Imaging transducer. Every sonar unit uses 2D sonar for the Depth so they all have the strong sonar pulse (pinging).

If you want to be quieter and have depth, turn Sonar OFF and just use the MEGA LIVE since it uses the MEGAHERTZ frequency that you can't hear and provides the depth.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Bass don’t just hear with their ears, their lateral line is extremely sensitive and likely picks up any sonar waves generated.

Are you just looking for depth, or did you mean you want to detect fish at depth with minimal disruption? If the former, turn the sonar xducer off altogether and the only disruption you will generate is your trolling motor and ambient noises from the boat itself (footsteps, lockers closing, etc.).

one good approach many use is to locate the fish on the electronics so they know they are in the right area, then kill the xducers to stay stealthy.

I don’t recall seeing any studies outlining the audible range of bass hearing, but they likely hear a different range than humans (~20Hz - 20kHz), nor do I recall seeing any studies of how sensitive their lateral lines are to various inputs… I’m guessing these studies are out there, however.

4. Member
    In some situations knowing only the depth is just fine. Even just a digital readout would be fine. I guess when it’s shallow, like max 30-40ft a weak xducer signal should be sufficient for that.

I would be glad to ad some kind of cheap simple device for just the depth reading. Is there something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Karpertje View Post
    In some situations knowing only the depth is just fine. Even just a digital readout would be fine. I guess when it’s shallow, like max 30-40ft a weak xducer signal should be sufficient for that.

I would be glad to ad some kind of cheap simple device for just the depth reading. Is there something like this?
    ANY sonar device that pings frequencies at 200 kHz or lower will be heard by you. That is why I suggested you use your MEGA LIVE for that since it uses 1.0 MHz+
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL