Ghost install questions

I have a ghost coming and am planning to install myself. Boat is a ranger 620. I have watched a couple install videos and I have a couple questions:

Will I need a lowrance point 1? I understand it can be better for the waypoint/gps on the graphs but is it necessary for the TM too?
    Do I have to have a NMEA2000 system? if so what for?

Happy to buy both but just curious if I need them or if I can get away without them. I should probably have a Point 1 anyway to line up waypoints better but I'm inherently lazy and don't want to spend the money on a little piece of round white plastic (I know there is more to it than that).

Thanks all,

Zach

2. Member
    You don’t NEED a Point 1. The Ghost comes with its own heading sensor (TMC-1). You need NMEA for the trolling motor to communicate with Lowrance graphs. If you don’t have Lowrance graphs or don’t plan on EVER controlling the troller from the graph, you can get by without it. You would lose the Ghost 360 option. If you don’t get a Point 1 and ever have Active Target, the on screen pointer won’t work. If you ever fish offshore waypoints, you need a Point 1. Personally, when getting a trolling motor that costs as much as a Ghost, I’d prefer to utilize all its features. Same goes for Lowrance units, and that means a NMEA network and a Point 1.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Thanks nocal, whats the ghost 360 option? sounds like i'll be buying a point 1 and a nmea kit. I have all lowrance graphs, elite 9 FS' up front with active target.

4. Member
    If you have an AI 3in1 nosecone on the Ghost, the 360 option was a free software upgrade that spins the troller around and provides a 360 degree view. Some people bag on it because you can't use Anchor Lock while it's spinning. Personally, I like it and use it all the time to pinpoint structure, which I can then waypoint and Anchor Lock on to fish.

NoCAL
    2B112175

5. Member
    sounds like a humminbird 360 of sorts. thanks for the info. Should be a fun install

6. Member
    It’s not bad, I’ve done two of them. Instructions are pretty good. Be sure to pull all parts out and check them off. There are a couple small parts that can get lost during opening. It’s pretty heavy so having a second person is almost a requirement
    2B112175

7. Member
    Where is the best spot to mount the point 1?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sala0288 View Post
    Where is the best spot to mount the point 1?
    Mine right up front next to the motor.

9. Member
    Depends on if you are talking about the Point1 that you are buying or the TMC-1 that comes with the Ghost. The mounting locations are very different for the two as they perform very different functions.
    The TMC-1 can be mounted on the bow anywhere there is not a lot of magnetic interference. Mine is mounted under the Ghost bracket on the carpet. It's out of the way and only functions when the Ghost is deployed. My Point 1 is mounted on the stern so I can mark structure from my console transducers with a GPS receiver mounted right over the transducer for more accuracy. So really depends what you are talking about. The worst place to mount a Point 1 is on the bow. Since most bass boats already have a GPS receiver in the front unit, mounting a Point 1 is redundant for the GPS part. The compass part is accessible from anywhere so it only makes sense to mount it on the stern above your transducers and where you don't already have a GPS receiver.

NoCAL
    2B112175

10. Member
    awesome thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Depends on if you are talking about the Point1 that you are buying or the TMC-1 that comes with the Ghost. The mounting locations are very different for the two as they perform very different functions.
    The TMC-1 can be mounted on the bow anywhere there is not a lot of magnetic interference. Mine is mounted under the Ghost bracket on the carpet. It's out of the way and only functions when the Ghost is deployed. My Point 1 is mounted on the stern so I can mark structure from my console transducers with a GPS receiver mounted right over the transducer for more accuracy. So really depends what you are talking about. The worst place to mount a Point 1 is on the bow. Since most bass boats already have a GPS receiver in the front unit, mounting a Point 1 is redundant for the GPS part. The compass part is accessible from anywhere so it only makes sense to mount it on the stern above your transducers and where you don't already have a GPS receiver.

NoCAL
    Question for you....I currently have an Ultrex, which I am switching to the Ghost. I plan on installing the TMC-1 puck, where my Minn Kota puck is......any idea if the Lowrance has more magnetic interference than the Minn Kota? I would prefer not to have to punch another hole in my rig.

Thanks for the info, I am a NorCal guy as well (Turlock / Modesto)
    2016 Ranger RT 188 - Charcoal / Dark Cherry
    2016 Mercury 115 Fourstroke - Laser II 20p
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1
    Garmin 1022 GPSMAP - Liveoptics LVS34 - Tackle Shack Trolling Live Pole Mount
    Humminbird Helix 7 GPS Only - Lakemaster VX Premium
    Lowrance Elite 12Ti2 Active Imaging 3 in 1 - Navionics +
    NextGen / Amped Lithium Batteries
    V-T2 Live well vents
    Power Pole Sportsman II
    (2) Loc-R-Bar / Custom brackets - Bream Metals
    BTO Trailer steps

#HomeBrewTackleCo

12. Member
    I wouldn’t think so since they perform the same function. If the Ultrex one worked, I’d be surprised if the TMC-1 doesn’t.
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    If you have an AI 3in1 nosecone on the Ghost, the 360 option was a free software upgrade that spins the troller around and provides a 360 degree view. Some people bag on it because you can't use Anchor Lock while it's spinning. Personally, I like it and use it all the time to pinpoint structure, which I can then waypoint and Anchor Lock on to fish.

NoCAL
    Eric pretty much nails it - only thing I would add is be sure to torque the mounting bolts all down evenly, as it's easy to get the mount flexed with uneven torque and then you might have problems latching and releasing due to it binding up. The Ghost has some other quirks I won't go into here, you've probably already seen all the threads about the pointer issues and noise issues that can occur and how to fix them. Oh, and also pay attention to how you mount the pedal, as the cable is pretty thick/stiff so it's best to get the orientation right before mounting/connecting everything.

I'm one of the baggers Eric mentioned I suspect :). I had the Ghost 360 on mine twice... I put it on when I bought the Ghost, then sold it when they annouced the HD version - which never actually got released, so I bought another another one... and eventually sold it and moved to HB Mega 360. To me, the inability to use the TM and the 360 view at the same time was a problem. Maybe not so much for others, but 90% of the water I fish I am dealing with current, so will be on the TM or have it running in some sort of constant speed/auto track/etc pretty much all the time, which makes the Ghost 360 view pretty much unusable. But I was stubborn (obviously, since I bought it twice lol) but just could not make it work for the conditions I fish most of the time. For those it works for, it's a fantastic option - for a few hundred bucks and a free software update you have a very good 360 view.