Garmin to Minn Kota

I just bought a Minn Kota Terrova with the Down Scan transducer. I also bought a new Garmin 93sv

Before I bought either of them, I was told that I would lose the capability of controlling the TM with the GPS (unless I bought Hummingbird). I didn't care about controlling the TM, just wanted the TM transducer connected to my Bow mount Garmin.

After hours of installing each.. Bass Pro said there was a cable to connect but didn't have one in stock. Garmin said I need 2 cables together. Minn Kota says the can't connect at ALL.

A local marina said they can't connect at all. However, he heard someone is making an adaptor cable that would allow it.

Any thoughts?

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    You can't connect any HB imaging transducer (down, side, 360 or mega live)to anything but an HB sonar. You can connect a US2 transducer (its a generic 2D transducer) in a Minnkota trolling motor to all the major sonar brands with an adapter cable.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger Z521c, 2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

When you say "Down Scan transducer" is this a Down Image or a standard US2 2D?

Garmin will not connect to a MK or HB Down Image or Side Image transducer

Garmin can only connect to the Minn Kota US2 2D transducer and that does take two adapters

The two adapters needed for that are

Minn kota to garmin 8 pin
    https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.com...8-pin?v=102571

Garmin 8 pin to 12 pin adapter
    https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/511579/pn/010-12122-10
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    Could he install an externally mounted Garmin side/downscan transducer on his Terrova’s lower unit? Kinda like we all used to do? I’m not super familiar with the MK Terrova or with Garmin but I would think if he could find a Garmin down/side scan transducer, he could install it that way.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

5. Member
    All,

The MK has the option for a traditional US2 D2 (CHIRP) or US2 D2 (CHIRP) with Mega Down Image. I purchased Chirp w/ MDI. Its cable has a 14-pin male connector

MK told me that transducer will not connect with anything but HB. (the terrova with just CHIRP could connect with 2 cables)

Quote Originally Posted by guntherbluefin View Post
    MK told me that transducer will not connect with anything but HB. (the terrova with just CHIRP could connect with 2 cables)
    This is correct
    "The handicapped angler"

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bman5150 View Post
    Could he install an externally mounted Garmin side/downscan transducer on his Terrova’s lower unit? Kinda like we all used to do? I’m not super familiar with the MK Terrova or with Garmin but I would think if he could find a Garmin down/side scan transducer, he could install it that way.
    Yes he could. I think Transducer Shield and Saver has a mount that fits over the built-in MDI transducer but it could probably be rednecked for a lot less $.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Yes he could. I think Transducer Shield and Saver has a mount that fits over the built-in MDI transducer but it could probably be redneckedj for a lot less $.
    Does Garmin make a single transducer that does both HD down and HD side imaging that’s compatible with his Garmin unit?
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Does Garmin make a single transducer that does both HD down and HD side imaging that’s compatible with his Garmin unit?
    https://www8.garmin.com/marine/PDF/t...tion_guide.pdf

Yeah but he would not have 2d.
    Just mount the Garmin transducer on TM like normal.

Minnkota has an adapter for the HW CHIRP piezo (DSC) in the MDI or MSI transducer for several brands. Does not support Down Imaging or Side Imaging with other brands.
    That was done when the current Minnkota motors were produced.

DSC (Dual Spectrum CHIRP) replaced US2 83/200 kHz.

The adapters are listed here----Accessories - Trolling Motor - Minn Kota (johnsonoutdoors.com)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/Advanced, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    I just bought 2 new Hummingbirds.

Thanks

13. Member
    Each of the big 3 (Garmin, Low, Bird) have their own line of products; TM, MFD, transducers and accessories. Some people mix brands on their boats with some success. In the past i've had all three on the boat at the same time as separate systems. That can work until you try to interconnect one brands products with another brand. The only things I seen work satisfactorily are NMEA products and even those don't always bring over 100% of the original brand features.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.