Thread: Engine issue

Engine issue

S/N 2B785175
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2010 Ranger Z520

So, I had an issue today on the water. While running engine sounded normal and performance was good. When I let off the throttle (hotfoot) to come off pad, the motor did not slow down, began to surge somewhat and then got a constant beep. With boat not coming off pad I reached for the throttle thinking maybe it got stuck. Throttle was not struck so I grabbed the control and put it into neutral but it did nothing.... I had to turn motor off with key and finally it shut down. The incident happened after running over 5000 RPMs for about 5 min on the way to the ramp this afternoon. I didn't have a problem while running spot to spot all day but I was just cruising at around 4500 until on the way back.

My question is, do I need new cables or is do I need to have the throttle looked at with a computer on the motor?

The hotfoot is brand new last year as well as the cables.

Thanks for the help

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to have someone KNOWLEDGEABLE check this, strongly recommend it be an authorized dealer. Check for damaged cable, control, demand sensor or even ETC.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor