Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Not sure how you people live in that crap. If I meet over five vehicles on my 7 mile two lane rd drive, that is a busy day.
    it sucks. I live in a town where we farmed 800 acres and it was a one horse town, now it's a city. warehouses, trucks, amazon, capital one , apartments, neighborhoods, etc... I got 6 more years until retirement and I am gone.
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Every time out on the lake during the week when there are guys in bass boats everywhere, me and my retired fishing buddies say the exact same thing. However, it is much worse on Saturdays.
    11,000 Boomers retire every day, many of them fish so get used to it.

3. Member
    I’ve heard some strange things attributed to Covid, but everyone running the roads is a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbass123 View Post
    I’ve heard some strange things attributed to Covid, but everyone running the roads is a new one.
    Roads are crowded in New Jersey, imagine that!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VA Bass View Post
    nobody works anymore
    I agree. Plus the fact that half the human race retired after they snagged a husband

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSDJS View Post
    I agree. Plus the fact that half the human race retired after they snagged a husband
    but they said they didn't need a man
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

7. Member
    All those cars and trucks need repairs or LOF, tires etc. Cha!Ching! $$$$!

Quote Originally Posted by AMSDJS View Post
    In many states their primary purpose is now to have babies.

9. Member
    Where are you going so the rest of us can follow you? LOL
    it sucks. I live in a town where we farmed 800 acres and it was a one horse town, now it's a city. warehouses, trucks, amazon, capital one , apartments, neighborhoods, etc... I got 6 more years until retirement and I am gone.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LateralLine View Post
    Seriously traffic in Pevely?

Attachment 550297
    that looks fairly close to a large Mertonpolitan area with an interstate access to the capital. I bet it gets busy there. Probably the same situation as Albany NY.

Albany only has a population of 100k, nearly 1/3 the size of St Louis but still a fairly large city imo even though some on here would call that a small town.. traffic would be congested within 10 miles of Albany for non interstate traffic and stop and go traffic for the interstate. There a lot of commuting going on.

Peverly is bigger than the town across the river from us and traffic gets congested there for rush hour.. and we’re 15 miles from any “city”.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 05-17-2024 at 05:02 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

11. Member
    nobody works anymore
    I worked in the Denver CO metro in 2000 and worked at home a bit at that time. My wife was at home much of the time. We swore even then that people don't have to be anywhere. That does not mean they don't work but information workers need not be together.

Covid excellerated this and made it normal for people to work in extremely hybrid situations.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

I found a work from home job before I retired.

Best move I ever made.

13. Member
    Most traffic at ~3:00PM is from those that drove to work at 5:00 am or similar. Factory type jobs.
    "the liberties of the American people were dependent upon the ballot-box, the jury-box, and the cartridge-box; that without these no class of people could live and flourish in this country..."

Imagine if every person had to work 9-5 and were on the same commuting schedule..... it would be pure grid lock. People flex to meet traffic and personal schedules. some are at work at 6am, some at 10 am. so the commuter traffic is spread out. some work 4-10s some do the 9s, some work super early and get out early. some work 70+ hours a week. There is no telling why people commute at certain times.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Imagine if every person had to work 9-5 and were on the same commuting schedule..... it would be pure grid lock. People flex to meet traffic and personal schedules. some are at work at 6am, some at 10 am. so the commuter traffic is spread out. some work 4-10s some do the 9s, some work super early and get out early. some work 70+ hours a week. There is no telling why people commute at certain times.
    This is exactly what I was thinking reading this thread. There's people working second shift, people that start early, people working restaurants and service jobs. Where I work we have full time 5 day a week people that arrive at 6 leave at 2ish and people that arrive at 11 leave at 7ish. Thats because we support a 24hr 7 day process.
    2020 Ford F150 Raptor (95,000 miles)
    2021 Nitro Z19 200 ProXS. Ultrex 112 Helix 12 helix 8

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider99XX View Post
    I have a 1 hour and 20 commute to work and the same going home. I get to travel twice a day through the festering armpit of MS, Jackson. Luckily I only have to skirt around the south side of that crap filled place. But at the same time there's always a wreck or someones gotten shot at along the stretch of I20 I travel so my commute is longer than it should be. And the roads were built upside down I think.
    Some really rough roads in that part of the state. My son lives in Brandon now but did live in Clinton. Clinton has the worst paved roads I have ever seen. They say it has to do with the ground underneath. But maybe they were just built upside down. Sounds reasonable.

17. Member
    Not going to lie. I get selfishly angry on thursdays, fridays, days leading up to a holiday, and the first nice spring afternoons of the year. I generally leave work to go home, no later than 3:00. Usually 2:30-2:45. It angers me to no end that folks leave early on Thursdays and Fridays to go home, and congest my otherwise breeze of a 32mi one way commute

18. Member
    As a teen I worked at a SwageLok warehouse, here they had what was called Swagelok time.
    It was 10 minutes different than real time. So if you started at 7am it was really 6:50am.
    So when the other 20 factories in Solon all let out at the same time, SwageLok employees already had a ten minute head start.
    I never knew how much of an advantage this was until I left 15 minutes late one day and had to deal with an hour and a half of traffic

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    Every time I am sitting in traffic I look around and think about all the vehicles sitting at idle getting 0 miles per gallon. In NY that is about .47 cents a gallon to sit idle times every car out there. Then I imagine what our electric bills will look like when those taxes go the way of the dinosaur. No doubt there is an economics lesson to be written and taught.

Since California and what seems like half of South America moved to TN we also feel the pain of congested roads. Being retired I do my best to do chores outside the home between 9AM and 2PM. Before or after those times expect to sit in traffic here in Middle TN.

Hopefully y'all enjoy the summer!!
    I'll see your Nashville traffic and raise you Atlanta traffic.

20. Member
    The idea of "working smarter, not harder" is taken to heart by many in the higher level professional world. My brothers and sisters are all blue collar or health care workers and they have a hard time understanding how things change when you rise in the ranks of other professions. Raw hard work isn't nearly as much part of the equation as being efficient within the bounds of your work output requirements. That can be good and it can be bad- but working under one philosophy when the rules are the other philosophy can be frustrating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast