300xs out of storage issue (high revs)

Serial# 1E002824P

I have been doing maintenance items to bring my engine out of storage and have an issue now that I'm firing it up.
    I had sent air and fuel injectors out for cleaning, replaced oil filters (primed with Rinda tool) and cleaned VST.

Engine started immediately; however, it revved up to about 2000+ rpms. I checked the TPS with the Rinda tool and it shows 0% 1.0v
    I'm thinking that I screwed up when I put it into storage... I used Mercury storage seal fogging oil, probably half a can in the cylinders as I turned it over slowly by hand.
    Could the storage oil be causing the engine to run rich and rev up? It was smoking extremely and I shut it off within a couple seconds.

My main concern is cold seizing a piston before it burns off if this is the cause. Suggestions? Start with fuel pumps disconnected??

2. Member
    Pull ALL the spark plugs
    Activate the Kill Switch
    Crank the motor several revolutions to clean-out storage oil
    Reinstall the spark plugs retest
    Report results

3. Member
    I had done that before the initial start. I’ll do it again tomorrow. I’m thinking the fogging oil went back through the ports and loaded up the intake, I’ll look in there tomorrow as well…. Thank you!

4. Member
    did compressor get storge seal as well????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please note: Storage seal should NOT (ever) be used in Optimax Engines as it can cause problems with the Direct Injectors.

It is not uncommon when an engine has been fogged or well lubricated that it may want to run on for a few seconds (usually if you shut it right off and restart it, you may have to do this 2-3 times and then it should fall back into it's normal idle).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Yes, compressor as well.

7. Member
    Don, thank you for the response. What issues would storage seal cause with the direct injectors?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It can cause them to stick (often NOT temporarily).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor