250 Pro XS not running right

2021 250 Pro XS serial number 3B008967 Yesterday while fishing I started the motor and when I put it in gear and gave it gas to go on plane it backfired loudly twice so I shut it down restarted it and when I gave it gas it did it again and went down to idle so it shut it off and trolled back to the ramp and loaded it onto the trailer with out starting the motor again. My dealer is closed on Monday. Never had this happen before so just trying to figure what may be happening.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Anyone been inspecting or changing Spark Plugs or Wires recently?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I had the plugs changed in Jan. as part of the 3 year service.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by carp_mstr View Post
    I had the plugs changed in Jan. as part of the 3 year service.
    Was the first time the engine ran since the plugs were changed?
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

No I have fish it several times after the service and it ran fine.y

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would recommend you get it back into the dealer. It's rare to have a backfiring condition like that... other than something simple like a plug wire coming loose, there's not many simple-fix items on the list.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Just got my boat back from the dealer today. It appears the problem was the flywhee/pulley rubber slipped. The flywheel was wobbling and damaged alternator belt. They replaced the flywheel and belt. Also the motor showed error code 1024-6. They tested the shift actuator and when it failed the test they replaced it. I took it to the nearby lake and it ran great.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hopefully, Fingers-Crossed, they also installed the required Alternator Bushing Kit. The replacement flywheel is solid, requiring that vibration dampening take place on the alternator brackets (in lieu of the rubber balancer that used to be on the flywheel).