Technique specific rod - poppers/ricos

Looking for a rod to throw Ricos, chug bugs, sb77s those smaller topwaters. Historically have used an old gen 1 cumara 68mf casting, I broke it so looking to replace. Will be throwing on 30lb braid and target casting under over hangs so need something that will load up a little with those lighter baits.

I have my selection narrowed to these rods.. All casting
    Dobyns sierra 682
    Diawa tatula 6'9 ml topwater/jerkbait
    Alx zolo "twitch"

Would love to hear what you use for this technique and any feedback on the given rods I mentioned, or new suggestions.

2. Member
    Loomis 782 in IMX or GLX.
    Another rod I use is a Falcon Cara 6'7" Weightless Worm rod. It's my dedicated chug bug rod. They only make a Lowrider version now and the ratings are not accurate, it fishes much softer.

3. Member
    I'm using a Shimano Expride 6'10" Medium with a Moderate Fast action. This rod is better known for jerkbaits but it works really well for poppers and smaller walking baits too. Of the rods you mentioned I would go with the ALX. I haven't fished the Twitch but own a few different ALX rods and they have been great rods for the money.

4. Moderator
    Since you mentioned Dobyns ( I don't know the other 2 rods at all)...if it fits the budget, you should take a peak at the Champion line and the crank bait series...the 684 CB specifically. I personally like the more moderate CB action when using braid with topwater...more forgiving
    Steve

5. Member
    The ALX is a great popper rod and I own a lot of different brands. I think Expride 610M makes a better combination jerkbait and popper rod, but it throws poppers in a pinch. The ALX is perfect for them!

6. Member
    ML Mod-fast with braid + leader is excellent for smaller poppers and topwaters. The MBR 782 is a great stick, and will toss 1/4 oz, but still it's a medium power.

What type line will you be using?

7. Member
    I use the 1st gen tatula elite 6'9" ml for grand sigletts and other small topwaters with 30lb braid and it's excellent!

The new Megabass Orochi X10 Jabberwock is an absolutely amazing top water rod. It'll handle the 777 just fine, and even handles the full sized Rico like a champ. This one is going to be a very popular rod once more of them get out there.

The new Daiwa Zillion 68MRB-FL is another fantastic top water rod. I've used this for the same kinds of things and am very impressed with this rod for treble hook moving baits. Daiwa did a phenomenal job with the new Zillion rods...

9. Member
    I have the Dobyn's Sierra 740...longer, softer, great rod. Also have the Tatula mentioned....don't use...too stiff & the AXL Skipper...also too stiff (for me). I throw mostly bfs now so my heavy rods (that get used) are all med lights. My go to for topwaters is the Megabass PopX....but is a "1" power rod with a Daiwa SS Air reel...I can skip my topwaters anywhere I want without backlashes. Mostly use the Z Man Pop Shadz...it's a topwater plastic that act like a popper....rigged weedless...it can go anywhere! So much fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Moneyshot View Post
    Looking for a rod to throw Ricos, chug bugs, sb77s those smaller topwaters. Historically have used an old gen 1 cumara 68mf casting, I broke it so looking to replace. Will be throwing on 30lb braid and target casting under over hangs so need something that will load up a little with those lighter baits.

I have my selection narrowed to these rods.. All casting
    Dobyns sierra 682
    Diawa tatula 6'9 ml topwater/jerkbait
    Alx zolo "twitch"

Would love to hear what you use for this technique and any feedback on the given rods I mentioned, or new suggestions.

I guess it's a flex, but the owner of Lobina Lures fishes all ALX Rods so I reached out to find out exactly what he is using. Here is his reply:

I think the best rod is the Zolo Skipper. I have three of them with Rico and Rio Rico on them at all times. If they are throwing the smaller Rico then they need to make sure they have a good reel and line or it might be a little frustrating for them because it is only a quarter ounce. The skipper is $ for the Rio Rico. It has the perfect tip matched with a rod with good backbone to it so you can pull fish out of junk if you need. I recommend the skipper to EVERYONE weather they ask or not lol. The twitch is also good option for the smaller Rico and they may be able to cast it a little better because it is a lighter power than the skipper but I don’t like it for the Rio Rico because it gets over powered by it. Hope that helps. Skipper gets my vote!

That said, I personally use the ZOLO Jerkbait on the smaller Ricos. I prefer the lighter action to the Skipper - so that plays into the lighter weight that Brian mentioned and as Okie2 mentioned. Brian (Lobina Owner) admitted he hadn't tried a ZOLO Jerkbait with a Rico but has a new mission this weekend.

11. Member
    Man, if you can find one the old Allstar Zell Rowland TWS is the best popper/spook rod I've ever used. They are pretty steep on the used market, but they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by cidgrad View Post
    I guess it's a flex, but the owner of Lobina Lures fishes all ALX Rods so I reached out to find out exactly what he is using. Here is his reply:

I think the best rod is the Zolo Skipper. I have three of them with Rico and Rio Rico on them at all times. If they are throwing the smaller Rico then they need to make sure they have a good reel and line or it might be a little frustrating for them because it is only a quarter ounce. The skipper is $ for the Rio Rico. It has the perfect tip matched with a rod with good backbone to it so you can pull fish out of junk if you need. I recommend the skipper to EVERYONE weather they ask or not lol. The twitch is also good option for the smaller Rico and they may be able to cast it a little better because it is a lighter power than the skipper but I don’t like it for the Rio Rico because it gets over powered by it. Hope that helps. Skipper gets my vote!

That said, I personally use the ZOLO Jerkbait on the smaller Ricos. I prefer the lighter action to the Skipper - so that plays into the lighter weight that Brian mentioned and as Okie2 mentioned. Brian (Lobina Owner) admitted he hadn't tried a ZOLO Jerkbait with a Rico but has a new mission this weekend.
    Wow! Hard to beat that endorsement.

My go to is your original Kelley Jaye Expert Series jerkbait rod for my ricos. They are every bit as good as my Destroyer Otomat at half the cost. Maybe even better. I have a pair of them that are always in my boat...vision 110s , ricos, even square bills. Fantastic rods.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Quote Originally Posted by 86 inches View Post
    Wow! Hard to beat that endorsement.

My go to is your original Kelley Jaye Expert Series jerkbait rod for my ricos. They are every bit as good as my Destroyer Otomat at half the cost. Maybe even better. I have a pair of them that are always in my boat...vision 110s , ricos, even square bills. Fantastic rods.

The ZOLO Jerkbait is the same rod. We moved it into the ZOLO Series when the Expert series was eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1206 View Post
    Since you mentioned Dobyns ( I don't know the other 2 rods at all)...if it fits the budget, you should take a peak at the Champion line and the crank bait series...the 684 CB specifically. I personally like the more moderate CB action when using braid with topwater...more forgiving
    684cb is an outstanding popper rod
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

15. Member
    I use a Powell TW Jerkbait/Popper rod, great rod but hard to find

16. Member
    ALX Rosa is an option also.

17. Member
    Another great rod for poppers/ ricos and rio ricos is the Croix 6'8" medium extra fast. Doubles well for rip baits too!

18. Member
    Lots of feedback and not a word of thanks from the OP yet?

19. Member
    Looks like Im going to be keeping a close eye on the Rods 4 Sale page. Im curious how similar the Dobyns Kaden 610-4cb jerkbait rod is to the 684cb. I have the 610-4cb and a 705cb. I'll probably grab a few of the suggested rods above and fish them all. Appreciate the suggestions.