Trim Motor Installation - Mercury 150L hp EFI

Hi -

2003 Mercury 150L hp EFI OT736120

I recently been having problems with the power trim on my engine. It would not work (up or down) and/or sluggish to respond. I went through the typical trouble shooting checks - fuse, switch, relays etc. The only way to get to work is to tap the trim motor with a screw driver and then it works, but fails again over time requiring another tap.

So its looks like I need a new trim motor. I think I understand the process - basically remove the 2 trim motor (allen) bolts, install new motor and gasket, run the wire, and connect.

Questions:

- I have been looking at the hole to the bottom cowl for the trim engine wires (and trim sensor) - it is difficult to get at and the grommet looks like its going to be problem pulling the old out and installing the new (very small). Are there any tips to do this? I can remove the lower cowl.

- Should I release the pressure (the plastic screw on the side of the engine plate) while the engine is on the service support prior to attempting the remove the trim motor?

Thanks for your help!!

lower cowls removed, first pry up on the grommet with a dull flat blade screwdriver, it is split grommet and is actually easy to remove, after running the wires lube the grommet and reinstall from the top. Note the orientation of the flat side on it.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Thanks! I'm going to work on it this weekend.

4. Member
    Thanks again for your help. Looks like I'm all set - trim motor install complete and seems to be working good. The flat side of the gromet info was very helpful and saved alot of time.