Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member

Hopefully, Finally Resolved

So, it seems that all of you who suspected some factor that was causing inadequate voltage were correct.

I had been trying to start it with my large marine AGM battery with 1150 cold cranking amps. I had charged it multiple times and the charger indicated a full charge each time.

However, I was using a heavy duty but long, all copper jumper cable. I hadn't put it back up in the boat as yet because it weighs 80 lbs, and after having back surgery, I don't risk lifting it up myself. Before checking for a voltage drop with the multimeter, my friend, Dave who is an electrician (who found the outboard fuse earlier), also suspected a voltage drop and wanted to eliminate any potential weak points. So, he came over and lifted, and installed my 60, and 80 lb AGM batteries. We wired up the normal battery cables. When we flipped the ignition on the engine fired up and seems to run normally, at least on land. I will put everything that I tore apart up by the throttle and dashboard and try to get it put in the water later today for the real test.

I can't believe how much time I wasted trying to track down that elusive positive connection from the positive terminal to the ignition switch and then how much time I spent trying to sort out this secondary problem that was simply the result of using the jumper cables. (I have used these cables to jump start my SUV in the past, so I am a bit surprised that the outboard starter demands more amps than my car to turn over.)

Anyway, I am a bit embarrased that my ignorance was manifest in this posting, but I really do appreciate the willingness of those who gave me suggestions to trouble shoot the problems. I am just glad that all my rooting around in all the wiring did not create an even more difficult circuitry problem that would be hard to detect. I am also glad that I can cancel the appointment I made at the boat shop at the end of the month.

The report is that the big browns are aggressively attacking swimbaits right now so I am itching to get back on the waters of beautiful Lake Almanor!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Great news! That's what this forum is all about, helping each other! Nice fish by the way!

Glad to here that you found the issue and fixed it.

4. Member
    Glad you found the problem. Now catch some fish and post the pictures.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12