Fuel delivery issue???

The engine is a 2006 Mercury 200 hp Serial # 1B425514. The problem I am having is the engine starts and runs fine for approximately 10 minutes then sputters and goes dead. The engine will not restart until I depress the starboard side schrader valve while having the key turned on and remove the air in the rail. After fuel comes out of the valve it is good for another 10 minutes. Here is a list of things that have been done to the engine/boat by either a mechanic or myself. The fuel pick-up tube in the fuel tank, the fuel line from the tank and primer bulb ,fuel filter in the VST tank was replaced. The VST tank was cleaned along with the injectors being cleaned and tested. Both pumps were tested by the mechanic and tested ok per him. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance. Shane

Are you pumping up the primer bulb? If not try this first
    Air/Fuel pressure and leak down test must be preformed.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Another important question: When it runs for 10 minutes, what RPM's is the engine running at?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    The primer bulb is pumped up before starting. The bulb also stays firm while running and even after it shuts off. A pressure test and leak down test will be done tomorrow. Do you know by chance the pressures I’m looking for during the tests.

5. Member
    The engine idles at around 700 rpm’s. I don’t run the engine over 2000 rpm’s on the muffs and have the same problem with it dying as I do when I’m on the water and running 5200-5500 rpm’s. The fuel pump makes a loud whining noise while the engine is running so I’m not sure if that’s normal or not.

6. Member
    https://youtube.com/shorts/P3lWzZ8jw...f49vj5XWSgVx5u Short video of noise the fuel pump makes at idle.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    One of your pumps is either bad, or DRY (ie: inadequate fuel available). Double check the float setting, low pressure pump and it's grommet.

Also: Make sure that the deflector (rubber "hourglass-shaped sleeve") is on the fuel return line fitting, at the back of the VST. This deflector prevents aeration of the fuel supply to the high-pressure pump.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    Thank you for your help. I'm going to look for the deflector to make sure it is on the fuel return line fitting. Is that a part that I can purchase from you if I need it? Part number for reference? I will be running the engine this afternoon on a auxiliary tank to try and eliminate the onboard tank, hose and primer bulb being the cause for inadequate fuel being available. I'm no mechanic but I this thing has taught me a lot. LOL...

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, available through our Parts Department, part can be viewed/looked-up or even ordered on our website at: www.mercurypartsonline.net

10. Member
    Would part number 888852 - Fuel director seal be the hour glass shaped sleeve you are talking about making sure it’s there at the rear of the vest? I believe it’s part number 33 on the fuel rail diagram but I want to make sure I get the right part. Thanks for your help!!

26-888852 is the correct number
    Thank You Leon Pugh

12. Member
    Thank you!!!!

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They're referring to it as a "seal" but yup, that's the right part.