Merrimack River bass fishing

Any one fish the Merrimack River? Specifically talking about the sections in mass. I’m up that way all the time and I’m debating hitching the boat up and taking it with me one of these days. Is it worth boating in there? I know there is no mapping available. I would idle around or go super slow anyway. Any other good lakes up there with out going into New Hampshire?
    2020 Ford F150 Raptor (95,000 miles)
    2021 Nitro Z19 200 ProXS. Ultrex 112 Helix 12 helix 8

If you know Georgetown and Amesbury, there's Rock pond in G town, 67 acres with good fish. I fished it more than any other place I've fished. Lake Attitash was probably the 2nd most place I fished when I lived up there. That's in Amesbury. I never fished any of the ponds in Haverhill but there are some there. The few in Boxford are good but they don't have boat ramps, just carry in.

The current is very fast in the Merrimac, one of the fastest in the country. I don't know anyone that has fished below the dam in Lawrence and the boat ramp in Lawrence above is not a very good area. I wouldn't leave my vehicle there. If you went to Newburyport and launched there and fished you could catch stripers and even a sturgeon. My son caught one a few years back there.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

3. Member
    I figured the Merrimack wasn't ideal for bass fishing. There's a few tournaments that launch north of the dam in Lowell every year. Newburyport sounds like a mission for my brothers Mako 18lts and not for the Nitro. That area doesn't have too many good lakes for bass boats it seems. Looks like you have to drive into NH or down south where I typically fish anyway.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kramos26 View Post
    Any one fish the Merrimack River? Specifically talking about the sections in mass. I’m up that way all the time and I’m debating hitching the boat up and taking it with me one of these days. Is it worth boating in there? I know there is no mapping available. I would idle around or go super slow anyway. Any other good lakes up there with out going into New Hampshire?
    If you ckeck the map at the intersection of RTE 93 and 110 in Methuen, on the west side of the river there is an island on the north shore. There is also a ramp and parking. I have done well in that area.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldWes View Post
    If you ckeck the map at the intersection of RTE 93 and 110 in Methuen, on the west side of the river there is an island on the north shore. There is also a ramp and parking. I have done well in that area.
    Smallmouth or largemouth mostly? That might be worth my time since I'm gonna be up there anyway. How many miles up stream can you go from there in a bass boat?

6. Member
    Smallmouth or largemouth mostly? That might be worth my time since I'm gonna be up there anyway. How many miles up stream can you go from there in a bass boat?
    Both! I should tell you this is the Merrimack and your hull will need scrubbing!!
    Upstream? towards Lowell, it will get rocky and the current will pick up. Down stream is the damn in Lawrence. There is lots of potential fishing under trees along both banks in that immediate area, currently the herring run is in progress and most largemouth are hanging out above the damn elevator in Lawrence pre spawn!
    IF distance is needed use the map on your phone or pc and measure it!

7. Member
    Haha new England, home of some of the cleanest crystal clear water in the country as well as some of the scummiest. Boat is over due for a cleaning anyway. Considering starting at that ramp and focusing most of my efforts towards the dam. We'll see if I get the time

That area doesn't have too many good lakes for bass boats it seems. Looks like you have to drive into NH or down south where I typically fish anyway.
    One reason why I got out of Nbpt area and now in Maine

Wes, do they still have the key for the ramp at BIP ? it's been 10 yrs since I had a key.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Wes, do they still have the key for the ramp at BIP ? it's been 10 yrs since I had a key.
    yes, BIP requires a key to get in, And Canobie lake can only be accessed by Wyndham residence at the ramp since that is also padlocked, Which is why the state stopped putting trout in there ! Canopy can be fished by kayak or inflatable either from the pumping station on policy Street in Salem or there is car top access is the other side of the lake in Wyndham.

11. Member
    Haha new England, home of some of the cleanest crystal clear water in the country as well as some of the scummiest. Boat is over due for a cleaning anyway. Considering starting at that ramp and focusing most of my efforts towards the dam. We'll see if I get the time
    well, unless I’m mistaken, your boat/nitro is going to have Rhode Island registration on it, And someone mentioned they wouldn’t use the ramp immediately above the dam for security reasons. Now I’m going to tell you that if you go down to Lawrence and the wrong type of people spot you out on the water in the nitro with Rhode Island registration they’re probably gonna drive to Methuen to see what you’ve left parked there! I guess what I’m saying is I wouldn’t be going to Lawrence with the boat!

well, unless I’m mistaken, your boat/nitro is going to have Rhode Island registration on it, And someone mentioned they wouldn’t use the ramp immediately above the dam for security reasons. Now I’m going to tell you that if you go down to Lawrence and the wrong type of people spot you out on the water in the nitro with Rhode Island registration they’re probably gonna drive to Methuen to see what you’ve left parked there! I guess what I’m saying is I wouldn’t be going to Lawrence with the boat!
    It was that way 20 yrs ago too

13. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Yeah that area has always been shady, but any where can be at times I had my gps stolen from the ramp up from Lawrence whatever that is called.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

14. Member
    Supposedly there are times it can be good. But I went there for a small club tourney maybe 10 years ago we fished above the dam in Lowell. I got second and lunker with 2 fish for 3 pounds and change, lunker was 1.9? something. I asked if I give the money back could I have my time back and use it to fish somewhere else. I am not a river fisherman, I have very little time on the water in a river system. Maybe with live FFS and spot lock and course lock and lithium batteries it may be a different experience. That water moves quick and you couldn't take your foot of the trolling motor or your getting spun and pulled down river. It was a long PIA day with one foot glued to the trolling motor all day.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS