Thread: chine walking

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Was it this one?
    Yes sir that is my buddy Jimbo. Watch his hands they always steer to the left

2. Member
    Hmm
    Last edited by Farmerman99; 04-14-2024 at 08:59 PM.

3. Member
    Im just impressed someone has a Caymas fast enuff to chine walk

4. Member
    My dealer included a Fury 24...sorry for the tardy response! I was out on the lake this weekend and tried playing with the hydro jack plate and raising it some helped the chine walking some....I am convinced that more saddle time will be all I need. Thanks to you all that have given input!

5. Member
    another trip to the lake...got to 68 mph...violent scary chine walk again...tried to bump to the left as in the video several times and had to back off...played with jackplate up and down to no prevail. what happens when I need to turn right and if I ever get thru this to top speed, what happens when I get past it and have to slow down? 24 fury wrong prop? it was outfitted by my dealer...not me. A probably silly question...do all Mec pro xs v8's have no fin on their cavitation plate? Mine has none. just asking...ps...I have owned several high dollar bass boats and have not gone from a Pinto...no disrespect meant here. None of them have had to be "driven" like this one. I have a friend that has a Triton 18ft with a 200 and he has given up going faster than 55 due to the same issues. Maybe this boat is just not for me. Now I have a gas gauge issue. The digital read out went from 42% full to 2% in less than 3 miles! Your thoughts gentlemen??? Thanks again in advance!

6. Member
    Chine walking not bad on mine. Boat runs and fishes great. The gas hand/reader/digital/thing needs to be recalled. Running out of gas would not be fun. Sitting level almost over flowed mine still only reads 78% and moves to 94% then finally settling down.

7. Member
    Ed, Get with your dealer and see if he can help you work through this. Surely they have someone that could go to the water with you and figure it out. The guage is under warranty so they could help with that as well. I came out of a TR20 Triton so I am familiar with chine walk.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS Lives

8. Member
    I went on several trips before this one...the gauge read 42...wow I am so glad I looked when it went to 2! just did it with instinct...thinking it should have read about 35...That would have sucked to run out...well it still does suck when you think about it...is it now reading accurate...and was faulty all this time...or the opposite? I am calling my dealer and will update with you all...not good...nor is the chine walk. thanks for your kind input!

9. Member
    The boat is at my selling dealer...They were very accommodating as they have always been. They offered to lake test the boat without me and then with me to address the chine walk...and are taking a look at the digital "not so smart" gauge for the false reading issue...I like my dealer by the way...this is the second boat from them bought new...and have traded two boats in the past with them satisfactorily...so an fyi...I am not one of those dealer haters...I'll keep you kind gentlemen posted...thanks!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    The boat is at my selling dealer...They were very accommodating as they have always been. They offered to lake test the boat without me and then with me to address the chine walk...and are taking a look at the digital "not so smart" gauge for the false reading issue...I like my dealer by the way...this is the second boat from them bought new...and have traded two boats in the past with them satisfactorily...so an fyi...I am not one of those dealer haters...I'll keep you kind gentlemen posted...thanks!
    I don't know what to say about this, I run mine up to 82 mph, it gets a little loose at that speed but at 75 mph I can drive it with one hand. The gauge has got to go, biggest piece of crap ever, I am on my second one and it is doing the same as the first.

11. Member
    Ed, How did you come out after working with your dealer on your issues. Have you worked through the chine walk? Just curious.
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS Lives

12. Member
    The fuel gauge issue was investigated, and they found nothing wrong with the sensor or the smart gauge...when they put it all back together it was reading 12% instead of 2...they told me that it could have been "stuck"...and asked me to inform them of how much fuel it took to fill it back up....which was 36 gallons...As far as the chine walking goes...the general manager at my dealership offered to lake test it with me to see if anything is out of proper alignment (which he doubts) and to show me supposedly how to steer through the chine...it has been raining here ever since enough to delay our trip together. David, the GM owns a Caymas cx20 himself. He also mentioned that we may end up switching props to a Bravo 4 blade...time will tell...I'll keep you posted. The main reason I chose to purchase the Caymas was because he has one and could have his choice of any Skeeter, Caymas, Falcon, or an Avid...Respectfully, Ed

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by edw View Post
    The fuel gauge issue was investigated, and they found nothing wrong with the sensor or the smart gauge...when they put it all back together it was reading 12% instead of 2...they told me that it could have been "stuck"...and asked me to inform them of how much fuel it took to fill it back up....which was 36 gallons...As far as the chine walking goes...the general manager at my dealership offered to lake test it with me to see if anything is out of proper alignment (which he doubts) and to show me supposedly how to steer through the chine...it has been raining here ever since enough to delay our trip together. David, the GM owns a Caymas cx20 himself. He also mentioned that we may end up switching props to a Bravo 4 blade...time will tell...I'll keep you posted. The main reason I chose to purchase the Caymas was because he has one and could have his choice of any Skeeter, Caymas, Falcon, or an Avid...Respectfully, Ed
    Just a tip, you do not steer through chine walk, you keep it from happening , if it starts to walk either trim down or slow down, or both.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    Just a tip, you do not steer through chine walk, you keep it from happening , if it starts to walk either trim down or slow down, or both.
    I agree with happykamper, if you have any experience with a high-speed bass boat, chine walk is corrected before it starts. If you aren't walking, you're not running. SEAT TIME.

I had some chine on my CX21 when I ran a 3 blade fury. I switched to a 4 blade and it eliminated the issue altogether. I don't care about running max speed. It goes fast enough either way and I wanted drivability and holeshot so the 4 blade provided both of those with a more than acceptable top end.

16. Member
    Ed, sounds like you have a good dealer and are getting a grip on your issues. I just wish mine would run fast enough to walk!
    2020 Caymas CX21 Pro
    Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Serial# 2B686100
    Lowrance Ghost
    Lowrance HDS Lives

17. Member
    Thanks again to everybody that has commented. Your comments are taken into serious consideration. I understand what you mean about "not steering through" the chine...it was more of a general phrase that I used. My dealer mentioned most of it was in the trim and jack plate position. I have plenty of experience in performance bass boats. I have owned Procraft Merc 200, Ket West Stealth Yamaha 150 hpdi, Big-O 250 Evinrude and a 225 Evinrude E-tech HO (truly the nicest boat I have ever owned, 80 + mph), Legend Alpha 250 Merc, Skeeter 225 ZX...and rode in Bullets, Gamblers, and Allisons etc etc.... I know I have a very nice rig in the Caymas. I love the tightness in turns and the dry ride (dryest ride I have ever owned). Thanks to all of your inspiration and helpful thoughts, I will get use to the start of the chine and overcome it. I'd bet money that I end up with a 4 blade Bravo. I'll keep you posted and show you a pic of my dash when it reads 70 plus mph....LOL

18. Member
    Go with your gut here... Something is wrong, that isn't normal. My cx19 had the violent crawling and bucking sensation at 64.mph. never got it to straighten out. In my findings, there are two experiences with this boat: those that have the horrible bucking sensation never get it worked out and those that have normal chine walk and get it worked out by setup changes.

Also, on the gas gauge...it will most likely be inaccurate most of the time. I actually did a write up on installing an analog gauge instead of the digital. It's still not accurate, but at least it's more trustworthy than some analog to digital conversion that the gauge is doing.

Good luck to you on figuring it all out.
    Last edited by Bogeypro; 05-26-2024 at 10:09 AM.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

19. Member
    Happy Memorial Day to you all! My dealer general manager drove mine at the lake with me and without me...couldn't get it past 68 and worked pretty hard to get it there...he had much less chine walk however when he was with me than my driving...he was steering just a tiny touch in both directions most of the ride and ended up with his favorite spot for the jack plate...which was mine to start with....1 inch above full down....and trimmed up to 5.5. He gave me a 4 blade 25 pitch Bravo to try this weekend...even installed it for me at the shop before I left for the weekend...no charge for the ride or the prop swap out...nice! Well, the chine walk is still there....urgg. I got rid of most of it by raising the jack plate upward further and got to 69 mph which was a struggle. The higher I ran the plate the better things went until the buzzer went off, and the motor shut down to idle which I know it is designed to do that. All is fine with the motor...no biggie...if the darn "smart gauge/dumb gauge was readable in the sunlight, this would not have happened. I am not a fan whatsoever of the gauge or its placement. The leaning to left on the hole shot was eliminated completely which is good news! The boat now runs very nicely at 60 mph more so than the 3 blade...so this is good too. When we together talking about thing at the ramp, he informed me that the boat hull design in a Caymas is very weight sensitive...and looked at all of my gear placements and knowing that my wife weighs 50 - 60 lbs. more than I do, he complimented me on how I have set up all of the storage...so that cannot be the issue. I can't help but wonder why a weight sensitive boat has (3) batteries on the passenger side and (1) on the driver's side????.... wondering is changing this may help...looks like a lot of work to pull this off. I also cannot help thinking of adding trim tabs. They were very essential on my Big -O to get from 70 to 80mph...hmmm...maybe this idea sounds crazy...but I really like the Caymas...and I really want to get the performance of which I was hoping for. Thanks again for all of your support thus far!

20. Member
    Well, the trim tab idea will not work regardless...the sponsons won't allow them to be installed! LOL!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast