Prop for coral 202

Bought a 99 coral 202 with a 99 optimax 225 last fall. In Excellent condition. My question is motor with prop setup. Currently has a 25 trophy. Prop to pad looks to be at 3". Best rpms with original analog gauge is 5300-5400, speed is 60-62. Half tank of fuel, with 2 adults and 2 small kids. Seems like with the research I've done that seems to be on the low end. It does seem to plane out fairly decent considering the max rpm. I have changed plugs, fuel filter. Merc mechanic did some lower unit work while it was there he changed fuel line, oil line and rebuilt the "lift"pump. Is there something else I can check, try a different prop like a tempest, or just need to maybe drop pitch? I read some guys are turning a 25 pitch with 225's. Thanks in advance for any help.

My buddy has same boat only 2002 he now runs 60 with a 22 tempest to get his rpms to 5700 and not lug the motor
    we started with changing from 8" to 10" jack plate. RPMs did not change but speed did. 63.5
    Then he went all out added ultrex, 2 12 graphs, HB live, 360 , scanner lots of TACKLE, equals lots of weight to the front.
    This boat does not have much front end lift, runs pretty flat
    dropped to 60 ( in the NW Idaho mountains, outboards are slower in the mountains) rpms came up tp 5700 with 22 tempest.
    Lugging an optimax is not ideal, it builds carbon.
    A tempest give more front lift. You are basically running a 26 tempest using a 25 trophy. 4 blade drop 1 pitch compared to 3 blade.
    I suggest a 23 tempest to try.. about 200 rpm gain with a 1 degree pitch drop.
    2002 Triton 190 FS , 200 Pro XS, Garmin Force, Garmin 10 Ultra sv, LVS 34, 2 Garmin UHD 93sv

3. Member
    Ok, just so I'm understanding correctly. I should go from a 25 trophy to a 23 tempest? Thoughts on a bravo xs and pitch for that? One thing I did notice on the trophy, was in rough water it would loose grip or blowout getting on plane. Thought that was a little strange being a 4 blade. Sorry for all the Questions. First boat I really had to dial in a prop.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stlcoral202 View Post
    Ok, just so I'm understanding correctly. I should go from a 25 trophy to a 23 tempest? Thoughts on a bravo xs and pitch for that? One thing I did notice on the trophy, was in rough water it would loose grip or blowout getting on plane. Thought that was a little strange being a 4 blade. Sorry for all the Questions. First boat I really had to dial in a prop.
    dont waste time and money guessing on a prop. call marks propellors and order his 4 blade xl. will carry the heavy boat and do great in big rough waters
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Yes I did suggest to go to a 23 tempest plus. It's not as easy as ordering a great manufacturers prop. You need to get your rpms up.
    I do not have experience with other props just what we did with the same boat. Hope our experience helps.
    2002 Triton 190 FS , 200 Pro XS, Garmin Force, Garmin 10 Ultra sv, LVS 34, 2 Garmin UHD 93sv

6. Member
    Thanks