Losing livewell water

‘04 Pantera Classic
    Overflow is plugged
    Filled the boat up in the yard this evening and water is running out the starboard side vent/screen on the bottom of the boat (low on the transom) once the water level gets to a certain point. I thought the flipper in the cutoff valve might have been it but again, the right side looking from the back of the boat.

If I take off in rough water with the live wells slam full, I lose over half the water and it seems to slosh the fish pretty bad.

Recommendations for a fix? Or just the design of the system?

replace the gate valve
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    My Puma STS does this too. It doesn't leak when its on the trailer but seem to pull water out when I'm running. Is the "gate valve" you refer to the one that is controlled at the console (Auto/Empty flipper switch)? It is one of those tough repairs so before I stand on my head for 2 hours want to make sure that it is the correct repair or should I just adjust it? Thanks

4. Member
    Replaced gate valve a couple weeks ago and still lost water this weekend, to the point it’s a half of tank or so. Any other recommendations?

If you're losing the water when you get on plane in rough water, it may be going out the overflow if the bow is up for an extended period. Try plugging or capping it and see if that is the problem, I cap mine if it's rough and I'm making long runs. Sorry, I just saw your overflow is plugged disregard my advice!
    Last edited by mike464; 07-01-2024 at 07:51 AM.

6. Banned
    I lose a little, maybe 10 percent. I just pump more in after a long run. I flip water a bunch anyway

We assume it’s holding water while on the trailer. It wasn’t on the comment above.

Somethings a miss, like the cable stop being shifted, or something similar. You mention gate valve, we assume you mean livewell valve. We also assume you have the right part (valve) from Bass Cat, designated by the color of the arm. Unless you’re the original owner, it’s possible it got switched before your ownership and there are several styles.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonky View Post
    Replaced gate valve a couple weeks ago and still lost water this weekend, to the point it’s a half of tank or so. Any other recommendations?

8. Member
    I had an '04 Sabre and I was losing livewell water when running but it was also going into the rear compartments. Called Sherm and it turned out I needed to put a bead of silicone along the top edge. '04 was the first year for Sabre's and Pantera's to have the fuel tank under the seat and back deck storage. Maybe you just need some silicone.

I have to close the switch all the way to the "auto" mark then bring it just slightly back towards the "empty" mark until I barely feel it catch. If that makes sense

Actually, there’s a detent bump just past the mark that lock it in place, that is if it’s all lined up properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958 View Post
    I have to close the switch all the way to the "auto" mark then bring it just slightly back towards the "empty" mark until I barely feel it catch. If that makes sense

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisMH&F View Post
    My Puma STS does this too. It doesn't leak when its on the trailer but seem to pull water out when I'm running. Is the "gate valve" you refer to the one that is controlled at the console (Auto/Empty flipper switch)? It is one of those tough repairs so before I stand on my head for 2 hours want to make sure that it is the correct repair or should I just adjust it? Thanks
    If it doesn't leak when it's on the trailer, it doesn't sound like its the Auto/Empty switch. If it's set to "Empty" (or if this valve is broken) and on the trailer, it will drain out.

How low does it get when you're running? It sounds like it's more than likely losing a little in the overflow or perhaps you're expecting it to stay fuller than their designed to stay.
    2023 Puma STS

12. Member
    The replacement livewell valve fixed the initial problem, and seems to be fine on the trailer as far as holding water, and it came directly from Basscat. Put some silicone around the PVC that was barley dripping and that is now fixed. The circled piece of PVC below is back flowing water at a pretty high rate through the vent on the starboard side of the transom, which is the pump in for the live wells I believe. That normal or sound right?

IMG_5167.jpeg

13. Member
    “We assume it’s holding water while on the trailer. It wasn’t on the comment above.

Somethings a miss, like the cable stop being shifted, or something similar. You mention gate valve, we assume you mean livewell valve. We also assume you have the right part (valve) from Bass Cat, designated by the color of the arm. Unless you’re the original owner, it’s possible it got switched before your ownership and there are several styles.

BCB “

The color of the Arm is white on the new valve, it’s definitely different than the original (feel pretty good the one I pulled was original), the new one has a lot more travel.

White should be our valve.

Be sure the cable is holding and you go past the detent on the stop.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonky View Post
    Sure, you have the right one and proper orientation?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Sure, you have the right one and proper orientation?
    Ordered it from parts over the phone so I assume it’s the right one and yes, only one way for it to go on. It’s holding water until it gets up to the “pump in” PCV opening that I circled. If the valve wasn’t fully closing shouldn't it lose water at any water level?

That marked fitting is the freshwater pump in, and it will allow water to escape once it reaches that level.

One could raise that hose in the loop, to prevent that occurrence.

^^^^^^^Plus 1
    Thank You Leon Pugh

19. Member
    Just wanted to make sure it’s suppose to lose water at that point. Might try tying into a high spray bar or just cut it out and move it to the very top of the wells and patch up the initial cuts. Thanks!

20. Member
    Carry a 5/8" cooler plug for when your livewell starts loosing water. Simply remove the bottom most screen from the inside of the livewell and insert the plug. At the end of the day pull the plug. My livewell valve works fine but I prefer to use the plug after I had one fail on my previous BassCat. I don't have to worry about losing water when using the plug method.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com