Question 1994 Charger Foxfire 180 top cap removal?

I'm looking at repairing the floorboard at the seating area, possibly replacing the transom and stringers if needed.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to sepparate the top cap from the hull to do these repairs?

I will make a upward & downward moving rotisserie to pull and do repairs.
    '94 Charger Foxfire 180VF '96 Suzuki DT150S BASS

38 views and no one knows?

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I would call robert at the plant he has been building chargers for long time and will know .

Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    I would call robert at the plant he has been building chargers for long time and will know .
    Thank you :)

5. Member
    I would like to know as well. I may be pulling the cap on a 1995 195 TF I just acquired. I tried to pull the cap on a couple Hydra sports in the past with out success and gave up. They glassed the two halves together at the transom.

6. Member
    Well we’re about to find out how the cap comes off a 195 TF. I’m in the process of taking it off now. I will update once it’s off if I am successful.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacklegjim View Post
    Well we’re about to find out how the cap comes off a 195 TF. I’m in the process of taking it off now. I will update once it’s off if I am successful.

9. Member
    I started a restoration thread in bassboat restoration.

I was able to get the aluminum flashing off the top of the transom and removed the silicone as best I could. Then removed the bilge pulp and custom installed yamaha fuel filter/water seperator housing.

I forgot to take pics inside the bilge compartment. I then drilled a couple holes near the bottom on the inside of the transom as well as through the top of the transom cap and found the wood is wet everywhere I drilled holes :(

20240517_161332.jpg

11. Member
    Glad you decided not to band aid it! Rotted out transom can be hazardous to your health!!

Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Glad you decided not to band aid it! Rotted out transom can be hazardous to your health!!
    Yeah following jacklegjim’s lead being as how his boat is pretty much identical in build style as mine and seeing what he is dealing with gives me hope and inclination as to what I’m really dealing with.

im pretty sure all the foam under the soft floorboards is water soaked and rotted which provokes me to believing the stringers are more likely than not to be problematic as well. The good news is I can use artificial wood replacements that will last longer than me and should never have to worry about it ever again.

It seriously sucks but what other choice do I have. Besides trying to find a similarly comparable replacement hull for close to the cost of repairs is not so easy to do. Well let me look into the cost of materials 1st and then make that call but I’m confident in the end I’ll end up having a better boat than one I’d be able to find on the used market anyway.

Ideally I’d like to have a bigger boat with more power but that just means it’s harder to move around, tow and cost more in fuel in both tow vehicles and out on the water.

However I’d love having the extra real estate up on the front deck for laying out more rods and being able to maneuver around up there a bit easier with out feeling all cramped up and having to worry about stepping on a rod with every step I take. “Oh can’t you see” The Police :p
    Last edited by Delta Bass Fool; 05-19-2024 at 07:23 PM.

13. Member
    I love your "Can Do" attitude on getting things done! Yes it would nice to have a new boat, but like me we have to make do with what we can afford!