About air injector teflon seals and idle

2004 175 DFI Model 1175D83CY - Serial 0T972330 System Smartcarft ECM

I am trouble shooting now a rough idle (anything below 2500 RPMs) that I can not figure out.
    The injectors in this motor has been taken out several times. Last time to have them both (air and fuel) cleaned. The report back was "all good and very well matched"... ok.

Other than cleaning and testing, the shop did not replace the O rings or Teflon seal int he air injectors because they were out of stock. I was told it would not be a problem.

Here is the question.
    Considering the air injectors are clean but the idle is still rough, could the Teflon seals be the cause of the problem?

Thank you in advance for your comments....

not likely, it will be obvious if the Teflon seal is bad, check the brown 0-rings for burnt edges from combustion gases or better yet replace them and lube them with 2-4-C
    Last edited by lpugh; 05-10-2024 at 12:31 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    O-rings for sure should be replaced when servicing. Teflon seals, only if damaged (and that is a royal PIA for you, BTW).

Plug properly gapped and replaced SINCE the injectors were done? Plug wires checked with an ohm meter to make sure they remain at a relatively constant reading while flexing them (and are all very close to the same reading)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thank you for the replies. I will leave the seals alone. I will re-check the O rings as well. The plugs have not been gapped since I had the injectors cleaned. I will check the service manual before I go look those over. The plug wires I will also check. Great tips on how to do that. Thank you both... I'll report back.

5. Member
    Note Don asked if plugs were "properly gapped and replaced" since injectors were serviced. Gapping bad or old (more than 1yr) plugs won't help
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ This. Very common to need fresh plugs after correcting problems in the rails/injectors.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor