Garmin foot pedal and heading hold

Finally got my kraken mounted and tried it on the water for the first time. Got a question around the foot pedal and heading hold behavior.

If I'm under power and press the heading hold button on the foot pedal everything works fine. However, let's say I need to make a small course correction. The second I move the motor left or right the heading hold disengages, and the most annoying part is the prop shuts off also, and you have to turn it back on every time this happens.

However, if I use heading hold on the remote, and make a course correction, neither heading hold or the prop shut off.

Is there a way to have this same behavior using the foot pedal?

2. Member
    Mine does the same thing. I was excited for the foot pedal on my Kraken until I saw that happened.

3. Member
    I talked to Garmin support regarding this and they say it's a safety thing. You can only use the remote or graph to adjust heading when in heading hold mode.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Garmin Force
    8' Raptors

4. Member
    Wow, that's disappointing. Isn't that way with minnkota and they don't seem to think it's a safety issue. It's bad enough that the heading hold shuts off with a course correction, but to turn the prop off also is ridiculous. It could be argued that doing so creates more of a safety issue than leaving them on
    Last edited by Hotlz; 05-06-2024 at 08:31 PM.

I have my foot pedal heading hold disabled. I keep by remote around my waist and use it often for several things including hh.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

6. Member
    I believe you can use the remote control to change directions by pointing it in the direction you want and hold down the heading hold button without it disengaging it. Make sure you read the directions for all the options.
    Todd Kress
    1993 150HP XRI 17 pitch worked Tempest Plus
    OD232323
    1993 Procraft 200 combo

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TKress View Post
    I believe you can use the remote control to change directions by pointing it in the direction you want and hold down the heading hold button without it disengaging it. Make sure you read the directions for all the options.
    Yes, but that's not the issue. The issue is using the foot pedal to do so. If I'm trolling around casting I don't want to be messing around with a remote tying up my hands when I'm trying to fish.

8. Member
    Same thinking here. Using the remote while mid-cast is disruptive. I don't like that the foot pedal and remote behave differently with heading hold. I want to use one in place of the other when casting.

This is stuff that's easily adjustable with firmware settings... at least give the user the choice to configure how it works??? I don't think Garmin expected Kraken folks to use the foot pedal. As a midwest muskie/bass/walleye person I fish a lot of ways and this foot pedal misses the mark on a few of those methods. Fortunately that's my only Kraken gripe... and it is fixable!

9. Member
    Here is the link to suggest to Garmin to change this behavior. Maybe if enough of us contact them we can effect a change.

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/forms/ideas/