Post 8M0109594 vs 8M020473 VessleView Link

2022 Mercury Pro XS - 3B143674
    Optional MercMonitor equipped.
    2x HDS Lives networked.

VessleView Link p/n 8M0109594 (recently installed in 2024 R boat) vs p/n 8M0110639 (not 8M020473 in title) - are there any discernible differences that could cause issues w/ NMEA 2K and/or the RIDE system ?

Symptoms: VVL is fully functional aside from a strange split second "Communication Error' which comes up every :30 seconds or so and then it's gone just as quickly ... all data (RPM, Temp etc) 'resets' in that split second as though it's 'reconnecting' to the VVL over (& over). Not a big deal but kinda annoying .

Thanks Don
    Last edited by BassinLA13; 05-06-2024 at 11:58 PM.
    2024 Z520R / 2022 250 ProXS

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    8M0109594 is a superseded part number (earlier version VVL- Single engine).

8M020473 is not a valid part number. I suspect you meant to copy down 8M0204736, which is the latest version of the same VVL-Single (8M0109594 supersedes to 8M0204736). This sometimes happens simply due to a major version change in the software.

Either part number is able to be updated to the latest software version, but you can no longer order the old part number.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    8M0109594 is a superseded part number (earlier version VVL- Single engine)..
    My mistake mentioning 8M0204763.

After checking my receipt / order info. I ordered and paid for this: Mercury VesselView 8M0110639 Link Single - Fits Single SmartCraft Capable Engine and Compatible Display
    And this is what I received.

Main Box - 8M0110639
    8M0110639.jpg

IN the Main Box - 8M0109594 <- updated w/ most current SW 64.3.127
    8M0109594.jpg

Don - do you have the correct part in stock for my '24 Z520R ? What is is the MOST current VessleView link kit ?

thanks
    Last edited by BassinLA13; 05-07-2024 at 01:06 PM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mark- you have exactly what you needed. Numbers printed on sub-kit components and boxes are not really traditional part numbers that you can order (they are internal numbers used by Mercury).

That VesselView Link was boxed in April, 2024. Not going to get much fresher than that the first week of May, 2024.

What you received (8M0110639) is the latest VSL VIEW LINK- SNGL ENG BASE KIT. Meaning it has the harness, tee, and items you need to plug into an existing Smartcraft Network and an existing NMEA-2000 Network.

The other numbers you pulled up from ??Somewhere?? are for a Vessel View link BASE (apparently a service replacement unit without peripheral harnessing). Those would not have worked in your situation.

You have the correct part, provided that you have a Smartcraft Junction Box and NMEA-2K network to connect to.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thank you once again Don. Knowing I've got the correct current VVL installed properly allows me to look further down the line for the intermittent Communication Errors I'm getting ... my guess is it has something top do w/ the N2K.

That said... I didn't want to muddy the original post but my RIDE system loses engine Data a lot - the solve is refreshing the NEMA connection on the RIDE's Setting page (see pics). With Engine Data loss ... is there a good place to start on the N2K network ?? No bent Ethernet cables as much as I can tell.

So much cool Tech in this boat but its certainly a bit of a love / hate thing right now :I

RIDE.jpg
    RIDE 2.jpg

6. Member
    So, one thing I have noticed in my setup (no RIDE), but VVL+LowranceHDS, is it takes about 30s after keying on the engine for communication to start up. Are your COMM errors right at startup, or anytime??
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

7. Member
    At startup and they continue all day. Brief split second flash of 'Communication Error', the screen data flashes off/on and everything returns to fully functional. Don confirmed I have the right equipment so the next step is a deep dive into NMEA connections etc.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Before you get too deep into connections and NMEA-2000, I'd suggest looking into a video you can post on the "tube" so we can see exactly when you turn the key on, and what is occurring.

If you have low enough voltage to "blip" the MPR open for a split second, that can cause the loss of communication.

Another thing is having bad, too many, or too few terminating resistors on Can-P.

9. Member
    The YouTube video (:52) below shows the following in this order:

1. VessleView Link (Current @ 20.2.3-64.3.127) “Communication Errors’ on my console HDS 12 Live.

2. Ranger RIDE System (sw 2.08) showing both Cranking (1x Ionic) & Trolling Motor (3x Tracker Lithiums) Batteries @ 0%. - but they are all fully functional & working as expected. On my previous RIDE, pre-boat replacement, the icons w/ the same batteries, always showed 100% / worked correctly.

3. N2K Diagnostics - maybe you see something weird ?

4. Data Sources / Digital Switching - some strange duplications.

*My RIDE system, every 30 - 45 mins, gives an audible alarm “GPS Fix lost” or something close to that but more interesting (annoying) is on the Home Screen ALL Engine Data is lost (Engine Temp, RPM, Speed etc.) - the fix is to go the to the RIDE Settings / N2K Device List, Refresh = alarm silences and all is working again. VVLS Link & VVLS SC Gateway are separately listed as Devices.

https://youtu.be/fsrpWNZkS7M

Last edited by BassinLA13; 05-09-2024 at 05:23 PM.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try taking the Point-1 offline (temporarily) and see if you still have the problem. Based solely on a "hunch" due to other's problems in the past.

Something is forcing your units to add the same device over and over.