Getting out of owning Kayaks

With the Wife being sensitive to the sun, the lack of use of the Yaks in the past couple of years, and no way to haul them with the 5th wheel, I decided it was time to let them go. We really enjoyed them and saw a lot of NC (Eastern half) that we would not have if it wasn't for the Yaks.
    My much younger fishing buddies, once they got a boat, they completely stopped using their Yaks.
    Have any of you had the same feeling as me?
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

I transitioned out of a yak for fishing 5 years ago when I got my Meyers fishing canoe. Had been yak fishing close to 10 years prior to that. I can stand and fish even with the motor running, along with infinitely more room and at just under 70 lbs empty there is no weight penalty. Still have both yaks for when the kids want to just paddle and screw around but I'll never fish from one for a whole day again.
    IMG_4298.jpeg
    Ranting incoherently

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    I transitioned out of a yak for fishing 5 years ago when I got my Meyers fishing canoe. Had been yak fishing close to 10 years prior to that. I can stand and fish even with the motor running, along with infinitely more room and at just under 70 lbs empty there is no weight penalty. Still have both yaks for when the kids want to just paddle and screw around but I'll never fish from one for a whole day again.
    IMG_4298.jpeg
    Would this be stable enough for 2 or 3 people? Would like to get something like this for fishing small rivers and lakes with my young boys.

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    I transitioned out of a yak for fishing 5 years ago when I got my Meyers fishing canoe. Had been yak fishing close to 10 years prior to that. I can stand and fish even with the motor running, along with infinitely more room and at just under 70 lbs empty there is no weight penalty.
    I am keeping my Pond Boat (8') Bass Hunter for trips to the local pond and other areas, but unloading the Yaks.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Hollopoint94 View Post
    Would this be stable enough for 2 or 3 people? Would like to get something like this for fishing small rivers and lakes with my young boys.
    The factory data plate on mine shows 615 lbs as the max weight. Mine is a 14' model.

Here's the link to the factory site - https://www.meyersboat.com/sportspal/

When researching these types of boats, you will see another manufacturer named Raddison. These are Canada built boats built with a thinner gauge aluminum and as a result are a bit lighter. The two companies have nothing to do with each other. Mine is the US built Meyers. These are made in Michigan and I believe you can purchase direct from them but I may be wrong.

Very important if you're seriously considering a canoe of this type - these are designed specifically for hunting and fishing. They have a wide beam and a flat bottom which allow for exceptional stability BUT they are terrible paddling canoes for the long haul. They are like paddling a bathtub. I highly recommend a trolling motor, you will be hating life after paddling one of these for a day. Don't say I didn't warn you Feel free to PM me and ask as many questions as you like.
    Last edited by bilgerat; 04-29-2024 at 01:14 PM.
    Ranting incoherently

I have been slowing down a bit with using mine...more so with fishing just taking a back seat. I don't plan on selling mine though as boats are still way too expensive. Maybe someday down the line I'll get a boat when my son gets older.

7. Banned
    I actually fish out of my bass boat and kayak about 50:50. I enjoy each one for different reasons, but do most of my tournament fishing from my kayak with my state kayak fishing club.

8. Member
    I bought a kayak just to tide me over until I found a boat for sale. I still use it for several no-ramp waterways. Since I keep all my tackle in the boat, taking the 'yak is a hassle compared to "hitch and go" with the boat.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    I bought a kayak just to tide me over until I found a boat for sale. I still use it for several no-ramp waterways. Since I keep all my tackle in the boat, taking the 'yak is a hassle compared to "hitch and go" with the boat.
    I had the same problem, so I just bought tackle for the kayak in addition to what I use in the bass boat. Some boxes I swap back and forth with the higher dollar lures, but either way I have enough in both vessels.

Well, Kayaks have been sold, small boat trailer for the yaks have been sold, and Kayak Rack has been removed and about 75% dismantled (still have to cut the arms off the main frame).
    I still have my pond boat and utility trailer to haul it.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

11. Member
    Sold my Hobie the day I brought my boat home. While there are many benefits in both, there is only so much time so I was very realistic in my personal needs.