Exclamation Minn Kota Quest Drift Mode with Apex... Outstanding!

I've had my Minn Kota Ulterra Quest trolling motor since October and I'm absolutely loving it. I tried Drift Mode for the first time today and it worked perfectly. The wind was at at 8 to 13 MPH and I was wanting to run a line along an underwater point at 1.2 MPH while dragging a couple of minnows on downrods. I couldn't do it with just AutoPilot and CruiseControl like I usually do because the wind was pushing my pontoon along at 2 to 2.5 MPH in the direction i needed to travel... solution, Drift Mode. I pointed the trolling motor the direction I wanted to go, set the speed at 1.2 MPH and engaged Drift Mode.

The accuracy of this thing is amazing. I ran that original line for a while and then decided to change the direction of my drift. I have two pictures... one on the original drift line and another after the drift course adjustment. On both pictures, you can see the following:

Black line - the direction the trolling motor was pointing

Yellow line - the heading of the boat

Dashed line - the Drift Mode direction of travel

Dashed line with the solid Track Line overlay on it - the path I had traveled over the drift line

Apex Minn Kota Sidebar (on the far left) - showing that I was in Drift Mode, along with additional information. You touch the "Adjust" icon to change the direction (in 5 degree increments) or speed.

You can see from the track line overlay on the Dashed Drift Mode line behind the boat that it did a great job of holding the line... even on my 22' pontoon with side walls which act like sails. Drift Mode is a definite winner!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I haven't put my Quest on the boat yet but I'm curious as to what it will do for me in a constant 2 MPH current.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    I haven't put my Quest on the boat yet but I'm curious as to what it will do for me in a constant 2 MPH current.
    That would depend on whether you were drifting against the current, with the current, or across the current, as well as what speed you want to maintain on the drift.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

4. Member
    I would add your battery will determine how long it will do it. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    That would depend on whether you were drifting against the current, with the current, or across the current, as well as what speed you want to maintain on the drift.
    On much of the St Lawrence that would be "all of the above" in the same drift.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

6. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    On much of the St Lawrence that would be "all of the above" in the same drift.....
    Wow, the lake I fish has basically zero current. I would imagine that Drift Mode would do the job well.

I did testing on my Ulterra Quest and will post the results screenshot again here. With my setup, as long as the trolling motor operates mostly in the 4 to 6 speed range, I have more than ample run time. It seems that the majority of my operation is more in the 3 to 5 range.
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Member
    Thanks for the info on Drift Mode. I just did the Advanced GPS Upgrade Kit on my Ulterra, hopefully I will get a chance to use it next week (MN fishing opener is next weekend). Drift mode was the main reason I purchased the upgrade kit.

8. Member
    I used Dift mode to slip the current vertical jigging on the mississippi. It worked flawlessly and made it possible to use to rods instead of one on the remote. Really happy with the operation and its easy to use.
    NPAA #803

9. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach440 View Post
    I used Dift mode to slip the current vertical jigging on the mississippi. It worked flawlessly and made it possible to use to rods instead of one on the remote. Really happy with the operation and its easy to use.
    Not sure I understand the second part of the second sentence... "made it possible to use to rods instead of one on the remote".

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Not sure I understand the second part of the second sentence... "made it possible to use to rods instead of one on the remote".
    "to" -> "two"

11. Member
    Correct, I was on my phone replying and didn't bother to change it.
    NPAA #803